SCF convergence for large hydrocarbon

Researcher Joe

Aug 18, 2021, 1:14:09 PM8/18/21
to NWChem Forum
Dear All,

I am trying to calculate single point energy of a large hydrocarbon molecule using B3LYP dft with 6-31G basis. The structure was optimized before with same functional and 3-21G basis. The SCF calculation seemingly does not converge (I attach input and output). Any thoughts on how to fix it are highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Out.out
In.nw

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 20, 2021, 12:12:04 PM8/20/21
to NWChem Forum
Here is a modified input that converges with the 6-31g basis.
I did symmetrize the geometry since it was fairly close to c3v (this modification does not necessarily help for the convergence issue, but it speeds up the calculation).
I have modified some of the convergence options and tightened some of the parameters (Coulomb screening and grid)
cccc_c3v.nw

Researcher Joe

Aug 23, 2021, 4:35:05 PM8/23/21
to NWChem Forum
Thanks Edoardo, it works! I am curious what the line "convergence fast" does? Is it somewhere in the manual?

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 23, 2021, 6:07:40 PM8/23/21
to NWChem Forum
No, this option is not mentioned in the manual yet (thanks for the feedback).
convergence fast turns on a series of parameters that most often speed-up convergence, but not in 100% of the cases.
Here is an input snippet that would give you the same result as convergence fast
dft
convergence lshift 0. ncydp 0 dampon 1d99 dampoff 1d-4 damp 40
end
set quickguess t
task dft

Researcher Joe