Water Sample File Issues

Dan K

Aug 28, 2020, 3:03:45 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
Hi All,

New NWChem user, and I keep running into issues running the sample water file. There's another thread about this topic, but doesn't look like it has been resolved to date.

Attached are the input and output files.

I installed NWChem on Windows using Windows Subsystem for Linux, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with the command:
sudo apt install nwchem

Thanks!

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 28, 2020, 3:05:10 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
Dan
Could you please post the input, output and error files?
Thanks

Dan K

Aug 28, 2020, 3:41:48 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
Hi Edoardo,

Thank you for the quick response. I am trying to post the files, but every time I attach a document, it says "error posting message". I'll keep trying, but in the meantime I copied the input file text and the end of the output file text if that's usable. There was no error file that I could see, and when i redirected stderr to an error file, it was empty.

Input file:
start h2o
title "Water in 6-311g* basis set"

geometry units au
 O 0.0 0.0 0.0
 H 0.0 1.43 -1.11
 H 0.0 -1.43 -1.11
end
basis
 H library 6-311g*
 O library 6-311g*
end
task scf optimize
EOF

Text from the end of the .out file:

 spcart_bra2etran: nbf_xj.ne.nbf_sj  (xj-sj) =                   5
  current input line :
    13: task scf optimize
 This error has not yet been assigned to a category
 For more information see the NWChem manual at http://www.nwchem-sw.org/index.php/NWChem_Documentation

 For further details see manual section: No section for this category
MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 0 in communicator MPI COMMUNICATOR 4 DUP FROM 0
with errorcode 5.

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.
EOF

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 28, 2020, 3:46:35 PM8/28/20
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan
I completely forgot that the NWChem default package  shipped with Ubuntu 18.04 is buggy.
Could you try these commands to install an updated version (as described in https://github.com/nwchemgit/nwchem/releases/tag/v7.0.0-release)

sudo apt -y install curl  python3-dev gfortran  mpi-default-bin mpi-default-dev libopenblas-dev ssh

curl -LJO https://github.com/nwchemgit/nwchem/releases/download/v7.0.0-release/nwchem-data_7.0.0-3_all.ubuntu_bionic.deb
curl -LJO https://github.com/nwchemgit/nwchem/releases/download/v7.0.0-release/nwchem_7.0.0-3_amd64.ubuntu_bionic.deb

sudo dpkg -i nwchem_7.0.0-3*_bionic.deb

Nazir Khan

Aug 28, 2020, 3:53:46 PM8/28/20
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, didn't realize I couldn't add attachments within the google group interface. Here's the input and output files.

WaterTest.nw
WaterTest.out

Dan K

Aug 28, 2020, 3:53:46 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up! Should I uninstall nwchem and nwchem-data from my computer first?

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 3:46:35 PM UTC-4 Edoardo Aprà wrote:
Hi Dan
I completely forgot that the NWChem default package  shipped with Ubuntu 18.04 is buggy.
Could you try these commands to install an update version (as described in https://github.com/nwchemgit/nwchem/releases/tag/v7.0.0-release)

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 28, 2020, 4:01:57 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
The commands I sent you should work without having to uninstall first.

If the commands fail, you will have to execute

sudo apt remove nwchem nwchem-data

Nazir Khan

Aug 28, 2020, 5:07:21 PM8/28/20
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much, it worked perfectly with this!

Just FYI, the instructions on the linked site don't seem quite right. When I got to the fourth step, it kept telling me I couldn't install because nwchem depends on nwchem-data being installed. I think nwchem-data needs to be installed first, and the asterisk is too far back to cover both files? So I did:

sudo dpkg -i nwchem-data*_ bionic.deb
sudo dpkg -i nwchem_7*_bionic.deb

And that worked.

Thanks again,
Nazir

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 28, 2020, 5:10:05 PM8/28/20
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are right about the correct dpkg commands. I will fix the instructions. Thanks for  the feedback