Issue with NWChem SMD solvation calculation for reduction calculation

Hasnain Hafiz

Jan 24, 2023, 2:03:32 AM1/24/23
to NWChem Forum

Dear all,

I am having an issue with the SMD solvation model and need your suggestion.

I am calculating the reduction potential of Ethylene Carbonate (EC) and its complex with Li+ (Li+EC). According to the literature (attached paper) the reduction potential of EC is smaller than that of Li+EC because of the high electron affinity of Li+ cation. I am doing NWChem DFT calculation with B3LYP functional and 6-31++G* basis set and SMD solvation model. The reduction potential (in V) with respect to Li/Li+ scale is is defined as following:

Energy (neutral molecule) - Energy (reduced anion) – 1.4

My NWChem calculation with SMD gets the following reduction potential:
EC = 0.57 V and Li+EC = 0.16 V.

For sanity check, I repeat the calculation with Gaussian 09 code but with PCM solvation model keeping the B3LYP and 6-31++G* basis set. It gives me reduction potential EC = 0.21 V and Li+EC = 0.56 V, which is almost exactly match with the result of Hou’ et al.

I am wondering if anyone notice this problem before and is there any available solution for this. I am attaching my input files and optimized geometries for your reference.

Best regards,
Hasnain

Hou_et_al_Nano_Eenergy_2019.pdf
EC_reduction_solvation.nw
Li+EC_neutral_structure.xyz
Li+EC_reduction_solvation.nw
Li+EC_reduction_structure.xyz
EC_neutral_structure.xyz
EC_reduction_structure.xyz
EC_neutral_solvation.nw
Li+EC_neutral_solvation.nw

Edoardo Aprà

Jan 27, 2023, 4:50:08 PM1/27/23
to NWChem Forum
What about the gas phase energies? Are you sure that the PCM vs SMD run are converging to the same solution, in particular for the anion doublet case?

Hasnain Hafiz

Jan 29, 2023, 2:21:54 AM1/29/23
to NWChem Forum
Hi Edoardo,

Thank you very much for your reply. The gas phase energies are consistent between SMD and PCM models and the reduction potentials are practically same between these models. The gas phase reduction potentials of EC and Li+EC from the SMD model in NWChem are -1.72 V and 2.52 V respectively.  The gas phase reduction potentials of EC and Li+EC from the PCM model in Gaussian 09 are -1.72 V and 2.53 V respectively. Besides EC, we have done tests with Fluro Ethylene Carbonate (FEC) molecule and found the same issue with the SMD model. One of our collaborators from The Molecular Sciences Software Institute at Viginia Tech independently did these tests as well and confirmed this issue with the SMD model. We kindly request you to check this problem if that is a possibility. We will be grateful to you if you can do that.

Best regards,
Hasnain