RT-TDDFT optimal computing resources

Carles

Mar 12, 2021, 3:42:32 AM3/12/21
to NWChem Forum
Dear All:

I am trying to estimate the optimal computer resources to apply for a project in a supercomputing center. I have not had the opportunity however to do any previous tests in such systems.

I am doing rt-tddft using single x-ray and trains of x-ray pulses, so that the total propagation can go from 50 fs to 500 fs, with time steps of 0.1 as.

My question is, how many cores in a distributed memory system are the expected/most optimal for rt-tddft calculations with NWChem, considering modern processors (such as e.g. 2.6 GHz Xeon processors)?. Also, which execution time is expected with such a number of cores for a typical XAS calculation, considering for example a propagation of 50000 steps (tmax=200, dt=0.005 a.u.)?.

An approximate estimation or example would be very helpful!

Thank you,
Best regards,
Carles

Niri Govind

Mar 12, 2021, 9:37:32 AM3/12/21
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carles,

This can be estimated from a ground state calculation itself. Typically, the cost per time step in a RT run is roughly ~2x the cost of a step in a ground state SCF cycle. In addition, RT calculations can also be restarted from the last time step.

Best,
-Niri

Niri Govind
PNNL

Carles

Mar 12, 2021, 9:55:00 AM3/12/21
to NWChem Forum
Dear Niri,
thanks a lot for the hint. But this will change depending on the number of cpu's that are used in the simulation, and this is what I have no opportunity to test, since I have no access yet to a supercomputing center, I am applying for it. So, it is 1000 cpu's per calculation, or less is better, I mean, which is the most common number to use in a parallel NWChem calculation.
Best wishes,
Carles

El dia divendres, 12 de març de 2021 a les 15:37:32 UTC+1, niri....@gmail.com va escriure:

Niri Govind

Mar 15, 2021, 12:39:54 AM3/15/21
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear Carles,

We have benchmarks on our github link, which will allow you to estimate your needs based on what I mentioned earlier.
Please use the zeolite fragment benchmark at the bottom of the page. It's the most recent one.

Best regards,
-Niri

Niri Govind
PNNL

Carles

Mar 15, 2021, 5:02:34 AM3/15/21
to NWChem Forum
Dear Niri,
thanks a lot! now I understand and can make the estimation.
Best regards,
Carles

El dia dilluns, 15 de març de 2021 a les 5:39:54 UTC+1, niri....@gmail.com va escriure: