Bound states

Javier Hernández Rojas

Oct 28, 2022, 4:33:19 PM10/28/22
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

If you calculate the binding energy of a cluster
and know that this system is very anharmonic,
is it possible to know with NWCHEM if it has bound states ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Javier

--
Prof. Javier Hernández-Rojas
Director del Instituto Universitario de

Este mensaje puede contener  información confidencial o legalmente protegida. El acceso a su contenido por personas distintas a las destinatarias no está autorizado. Por otro lado, el tratamiento desautorizado de datos de carácter personal puede suponer una infracción de la normativa vigente en Protección de Datos

Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le informamos que la utilización, divulgación o reproducción de su contenido sin autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. En tal caso deberá comunicarlo al remitente y proceder de manera inmediata a su destrucción, así como la de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo.

This message may contain confidential or legally protected information. Access to its content by persons other than the recipients is not authorized. On the other hand, the unauthorized treatment of personal data may imply an infraction of the current regulations on Data Protection.

If you have received this message in error, we inform you that the use, disclosure or reproduction of its content without authorization is prohibited under current legislation. In this case, you must notify the sender and proceed immediately to its destruction, as well as any document attached to it.

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 29, 2022, 2:13:03 PM10/29/22
to NWChem Forum
Could you be more specific about the states you are referring to? Are those the electronic or vibrational states?

Javier Hernández Rojas

Oct 29, 2022, 3:08:23 PM10/29/22
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Vibrational states, i.e. for the electronic ground state, is it possible to know with nwchem if at least one vibrational state will be inside the well? All this knowing that the well is very anharmonic.

Javier

Niri Govind

Oct 29, 2022, 3:40:44 PM10/29/22
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Javier,

We don't compute the vibronic levels. Typically, the harmonic frequencies are computed after minimizing the geometry.

Another way is to perform an ab initio MD simulation on the ground state, which can bring in some of the anharmonicities. But this is typically done on a ground electronic state or some other reference electronic state.

If you can give us more information, we may be able to share further thoughts on this.

Best,
Niri Govind
PNNL

Javier Hernández Rojas

Oct 30, 2022, 11:19:51 AM10/30/22
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niri,

It is known that the complex H2-He has a binding energy of around 1.36 meV with only one bound state in the electronic ground state. I have reproduced this energy with nwchem but I don't know how many bound states there are. Indeed, taking the value of zpe that gives nwchem, this complex would be unstable. So, this is my doubt when the binding energy of a system is a few meV.

Thanks,

Javier

Javier Hernández Rojas

Mar 30, 2023, 10:16:33 AM3/30/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I'm calculating the single point energy for
CO2-Xe system and I'm finding problems with the
convergence of the energy using the SCF method.
Please find attached the input/output files of NWCHEM.

Thanks in advance,

Javier

sal

Edoardo Aprà

Mar 30, 2023, 11:47:14 AM3/30/23
to NWChem Forum
The def2-tvzpp basis set for Xe  is not an all-electron basis. Instead, it requires ECP. https://nwchemgit.github.io/ECP.html
Here are the changes to the basis set input section you should try (you should remove the extra SCF options, too, since the default options do work for this case).
basis spherical
 C library aug-cc-pvtz
 O library aug-cc-pvtz
 Xe library def2-TZVPP
end
ecp
 Xe library def2-ecp
end

scf
 singlet
end

Javier Hernández Rojas

Mar 31, 2023, 9:33:21 AM3/31/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Edoardo.

Sincerely,

Javier

Javier Hernández Rojas

May 11, 2023, 11:41:34 AM5/11/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am calculating the normal mode frequencies of the He-(H2+) system in a T
configuration, i.e. the Helium atom is located perpendicular
to the axis of the H2+ molecule. By using the aug-cc-pvtz basis set
and CCSD(T) calculations, I obtain that all frequencies are positive.
But, doing the same calculations with the "aug-cc-pvqz" basis set,
one negative frequency (transition state) appears. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Javier
QZ_H2+He.nw
TZ_H2+He.nw
TZ_H2+He.output
QZ_H2+He.output

Javier Hernández Rojas

Oct 16, 2023, 1:03:39 PM10/16/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I am trying to calculate the dynamics of a CO2 molecule
using the QMD module but I obtain the following error message:
"inertia tensor could not be inverted  911".
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please find attached the input/output files.

Javier
CO2.nw
output_CO2

Edoardo Aprà

Oct 18, 2023, 10:18:43 PM10/18/23
to NWChem Forum

Javier Hernández Rojas

Oct 19, 2023, 9:08:48 AM10/19/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Edoardo.

Javier

Prof. Javier Hernández-Rojas
Director del Instituto Universitario de
Estudios Avanzados en Física Atómica,
Molecular y Fotónica (IUdEA).
Departamento de Física.
Facultad de Ciencias.
Universidad de La Laguna.
38205, La Laguna, Tenerife
SPAIN, Tlf + 34 922 318255

Javier Hernández Rojas

Dec 22, 2023, 8:40:12 AM12/22/23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have tried to optimize an aromatic structure with DFT
and I have obtained one negative eigenvalue. I attach the input/output file.
Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Javier

--
Prof. Javier Hernández-Rojas
Director del Instituto Universitario de
Estudios Avanzados en Física Atómica,
Molecular y Fotónica (IUdEA).
Departamento de Física.
Facultad de Ciencias.
Universidad de La Laguna.
38205, La Laguna, Tenerife
SPAIN, Tlf + 34 922 318255

output

Edoardo Aprà

Dec 28, 2023, 6:00:19 PM12/28/23
to NWChem Forum
The two attached input files will get you a hessian with no negative eigenvalues.
The first input file aroma1.nw will calculate an hessian with one negative eigenvalue. If you examine the output file of this calculation,
you will find a line
  Geometry after -100.0% step for mode  1; Step length =  0.153 angstroms
I have copied and pasted the geometry corresponding to this displacement in the second input file aroma2.nw
aroma2.nw
aroma1.nw

Javier Hernández Rojas

Jan 9, 2024, 8:47:59 AMJan 9
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear Edoardo,

Thanks for the files, but I have used the input file aroma1.nw and it didn't
done. I attach the output file.

Regards,
Javier

aroma1_out

Edoardo Aprà

Jan 9, 2024, 12:50:03 PMJan 9
to NWChem Forum
This looks like a truncated output file to me.
It's hard to tell why the calculation stopped without seeing any error message.

Javier Hernández Rojas

Apr 22, 2024, 10:13:18 AMApr 22
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have run a RT_TDDFT approach to calculate
the absorption spectrum of CO2, but when I
try to do the fourier transform of the dipole
moments, using the codes that you provide, I
obtain the following error message:

 error: load: unable to find file -d50
error: called from:
error:   /home/javierh/NWCHEM/CO2/spec/fft1d.m at line 42, column 6
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "rotate_fft.py", line 50, in <module>
   main()
 File "rotate_fft.py", line 42, in main
   data = parse_stdin ()
 File "rotate_fft.py", line 36, in parse_stdin
   data = [ [ float(v) for v in l ] for l in rawinp]
 File "rotate_fft.py", line 36, in <listcomp>
   data = [ [ float(v) for v in l ] for l in rawinp]
 File "rotate_fft.py", line 36, in <listcomp>
   data = [ [ float(v) for v in l ] for l in rawinp]
ValueError: could not convert string to float: 'GNU'

I used the command:

"octave fft1d.m -d50 -z -p50000 < x.dat | python3.6 rotate_fft.py > xw.dat
"
I attach the output file, "sal" and the x-component of the
dipole moment "x.dat". Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Javier
--
Javier Hernández Rojas
Catedrático de Universidad

Edoardo Aprà

Apr 22, 2024, 8:55:10 PMApr 22
to NWChem Forum
If you read the first 34 lines of the octave script fft1d.m, you can see that what is reported in the NWChem documentation is not entirely accurate.
To be more precise, the fft1d.m script does not have any option. Damping and padding can be turned on by editing the fft1d.m script, instead.

In other words, the command line you reported should be modified as

octave fft1d.m  x.dat | grep -v period | python ./rotate_fft.py > xw.dat

Javier Hernández Rojas

Apr 23, 2024, 9:22:12 AMApr 23
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your help Edoardo. However, I used the new command line and I obtained other error message
associated with the routine "rotate_fft.py", such as:
warning: docstring file '/usr/share/octave/3.8.2/etc/built-in-docstrings' not found
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./rotate_fft.py", line 50, in <module>
   main()
 File "./rotate_fft.py", line 42, in main
   data = parse_stdin ()
 File "./rotate_fft.py", line 36, in parse_stdin
   data = [ [ float(v) for v in l ] for l in rawinp]
ValueError: could not convert string to float: GNU

Javier

Edoardo Aprà

Apr 23, 2024, 6:50:02 PMApr 23
to NWChem Forum
The following works for me

wget https://nwchemgit.github.io/RT_TDDFT_scripts.tgz
tar xzf RT_TDDFT_scripts.tgz
cd rt_tddft_scripts
wget https://nwchemgit.github.io/RT_TDDFT_h2o_abs.nwo.gz
gzip -d RT_TDDFT_h2o_abs.nwo
python nw_rtparse.py -xdipole -px -tkick_x RT_TDDFT_h2o_abs.nwo > x.dat

octave fft1d.m  x.dat | grep -v period | python ./rotate_fft.py > xw.dat

Edoardo Aprà

Apr 23, 2024, 6:52:17 PMApr 23
to NWChem Forum
$ octave --version
GNU Octave, version 6.4.0
Copyright (C) 2021 The Octave Project Developers.

Javier Hernández Rojas

Apr 29, 2024, 1:18:26 PMApr 29
to nwchem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Eduardo. I had a problem with the octave installation. Now it works.

Javier