Can I set two different basis for optimization and frequencies within the same input?

Hudd Ren

Aug 26, 2020, 6:25:15 PM8/26/20
to NWChem Forum
Hi,
I'm trying to first optimize geometry in gas phase with 6-31G* and then calculate vibrational frequencies in solution with 6-311+G**.

Can I do all these with one input file?  Or should i separate the input file for optimization and frequencies?

The below is the input file that I'm trying to run both at once with. As you can see, I switched the basis and added cosmo after 'task dft optimize' Would this work?
(And please kindly let me know if you see anything else wrong/strange as I just started using NWChem today!)

echo
start product
geometry units angstrom autosym
  C    -5.11803    0.15705    0.42668
  S    -4.21136   -0.16848   -1.10416
  C    -2.46901   -0.40230   -0.69500
  C    -1.83325    0.81703   -0.18808
  C    -0.41763    0.76235    0.19861
  O    -0.08715    1.37766    1.25788
  N     0.48716    0.04731   -0.60499
  C     1.86828   -0.10399   -0.37889
  C     2.54915    0.43050    0.68006
  N     2.58963   -0.83871   -1.28736
  C     3.92513    0.21874    0.80337
  C     3.91072   -1.04198   -1.16811
  C     4.61874   -0.52221   -0.12393
  H    -5.71525   -0.76721    0.62660
  H    -5.78601    1.03732    0.33530
  H    -4.38759    0.36702    1.23083
  H    -2.35475   -1.17847    0.11788
  H    -1.91666   -0.84649   -1.56206
  H    -2.34771    1.74137   -0.08673
  H     0.05768   -0.41891   -1.46788
  H     2.06180    1.01883    1.43761
  H     4.44700    0.64333    1.63820
  H     4.43246   -1.63125   -1.91519
  H     5.69666   -0.69851   -0.04494
end
basis
  * library 6-31*
end
dft
  xc b3lyp
  iteration 300  direct  disp vdw 3
end
task dft optimize

basis
  * library 6-311+G**
end
cosmo
  do_gasphase False
end
task dft freq

Edoardo Aprà

Aug 27, 2020, 8:40:54 PM8/27/20
to NWChem Forum
Yes,
You can switch basis.
However, you should re-optimize the geometry in solvated phased before computing the frequencies.
The attached input file contains a few modifications
coscos.nw

Hudd Ren

Aug 28, 2020, 3:03:30 PM8/28/20
to NWChem Forum
Thanks a lot! This is a tremendous help for me as a beginner in NWchem.

By the way, just looking at the system size, how much time would you expect to calculate with 4 processors in general?
I came from Jaguar and this takes 30 minutes with only one processor on my Macbook but somehow, NWchem that I set up on AWS with faster CPUs takes about 10 hours with 4 processors.
I compiled it with OpenMPI and MKL and I see all processors are running concurrently so I doubt that the compilation was not done incorrectly.
I wonder if some parts in this NWchem input is requiring a significantly expensive accuracy.

Again I really appreciate your help!