NWChem Simple Broken Symmetry Calculations

Tanvir ur Rahman Chowdhury

May 5, 2021, 3:23:42 PM5/5/21
to NWChem Forum
Hello,
I am new to NWChem. I have to compute the energies of some simple atoms like C, and O with the broken-symmetry densities. I am not sure how to write the dft part of the code. A typical NWChem code that I think will work might look like this -

echo
title "carbon atom"

start carbon_sym
geometry
  C   0.0 0.0 0.0
end

basis
 * library aug-cc-pvdz
end

dft
 grid xfine
 convergence energy 1d-8
 xc scan
end

task dft energy

Thanks in advance.

Edoardo Aprà

May 5, 2021, 3:52:53 PM5/5/21
to NWChem Forum
Could you please clarify what you mean by "broken-symmetry density" for atoms? I am used to the definition of broken-symmetry electronic structure approaches for molecules containing more than one atom, but I cannot understand the concept of broken-symmetry solutions for atoms.

Tanvir ur Rahman Chowdhury

May 5, 2021, 4:05:55 PM5/5/21
to NWChem Forum
Hello Edoardo,
Thank you. Sorry for the mistake. I think to say I meant simple molecules like C2 and O2.

echo
title "carbon atom"

start carbon_sym
geometry
  C   0.0 0.0 0.0
 C   0.0 0.0 1.243
end

basis
 * library aug-cc-pvdz
end

dft
 grid xfine
 convergence energy 1d-8
 xc  (some xc)
end

task dft energy

Edoardo Aprà

May 5, 2021, 4:10:34 PM5/5/21
to NWChem Forum
This topic has already been a few times in the forum. The previous postings should contain enough material to help preparing your input file.

Tanvir ur Rahman Chowdhury

May 18, 2021, 3:22:35 PM5/18/21
to NWChem Forum
Hello,
I looked into the links and prepared my input file. However, I am getting errors in the output file. Alternatively, I also tried simply turning off the sym and adapt in the DFT module. But that gives me almost the same DFT energy as the one with keeping sym and adapt on. I would really appreciate any tips/assistance.
Thanks in advance.
*****************************
First Attempt
echo

title "boron_mol"

start B_mol

geometry big
  B   0.0 0.0 0.0
  B   0.0 0.0 1.59
end

geometry b1
 B 0.0 0.0 0.0
end

geometry b2
 B 0.0 0.0 1.59
end

basis
 * library 6-311++G(3df,3pd)
end

charge 0
set geometry b1
dft
 odft
 mult 2
 xc scan
 vectors input atomic output b1.mos
end

task dft ignore

charge 0
set geometry b2
dft
 odft
 mult 0
 vectors input atomic output b2.mos
end

task dft ignore

charge 0
set geometry big
dft
 odft
 mult 3
 grid xfine
 convergence energy 1d-8
 vectors input fragment b1.mos b2.mos output big.mos
 iterations 100
end

task dft
Second Attempt