Extra local memory needed for incore

Sibo Lin

Mar 24, 2021, 9:11:00 AM3/24/21
to NWChem Forum
I am trying to do single point dft calculations on a rather large system (500 atoms). I get the calculation is very slow and the output says "Extra Local Memory (stack+heap) needed for incore: 7242 Mbytes". My current input file specifies "heap 200 mb stack 1000 mb global 2800 mb" and "direct" in the dft section (which I thought would override incore...). The node has 128 gb memory, and I'm running the calculation across all 24 cpus of the node. I chose the 4gb memory specification based on a recommendation to only use 75% of the total memory (128 /24 × 0.75 = 4).

Do you have recommendations for how to shift the memory allocation to make this calculation run faster?

Thank you!

Edoardo Aprà

Mar 24, 2021, 12:25:23 PM3/24/21
to NWChem Forum
You need to remove the "direct" keyword to enable the incore algorithm when CD fitting is used in DFT. The memory will be used out of the sum of heap+stack. Therefore I would recommend decreasing global to something around 500 mb. However, you don't seem to have enough aggregate memory to use the incore algorithm based on the numbers you reported