HF Vara aprs

Bill Vodall

Jun 9, 2024, 12:11:36 PMJun 9
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
RF is what makes what we do special.

From FB..

I'm looking to recruit some more VARA HF APRS (40m) users across the PNW and other regions.

VARA APRS is a relatively new way of operating APRS over HF. It is comparable to FT8 in weak signal decoding. It's really quite impressive.

My goal is to assist in getting a well established network with full time igates. We currently have just under 10 full time stations between the PNW and Midwest regions. More are needed to improve daytime NVIS and nighttime skip on 40 meters.

In the photos you can see the tracking differences between VHF and HF. VHF reliability is generally very poor, where HF is near perfect. 99% mobile reliability during every extended and general use test we have done. This includes 2 way messaging while mobile!

VARA APRS is geared more towards those of us who spend time in extremely remote areas that have no VHF or UHF infrastructure, where HF is really the only means of communication.

VARA APRS is just like VHF APRS. The same capabilities, it even has 2 way igating!!

If you're interested, let me know!

NA7Q