PinPoint APRS with TH-D72/D74

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 2:56:52 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com, ab...@arrl.net
Anybody out there who can help me marry up a TH-D72 or D74 with a W10 laptop running PinPoint APRS? I can't get the two to talk with each other. Sure seems like I could do this before, but not now.

Dave K7GPS

Keith VE7GDH

Jun 25, 2021, 3:05:50 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Dave K7GPS write…

> Anybody out there who can help me marry up a TH-D72 or D74 with a W10 laptop running PinPoint APRS?

I don’t have a D72 or D74, or use PinPoint APRS, but the TNC should be in packet mode. Check the menu in the radio to see what the serial port “baud” rate is. Then look in the Device Manager on the computer to confirm what com port the TNC is using. Knowing that the TNC is actually enabled, the board rate, and what com port it is on should give you enough information to get it sorted out in the APRS client.

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 3:10:06 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Keith. I have double-checked those settings. Radio is in packet mode. In PinPoint, there is a selection of radios to interface with. One is Kenwood TH-D74, and other option is KISS mode. I have tried both to no avail. Using 9600 baud for the interface (using 1200 baud for the APRS on 144.39). Still no go.
Dave

Jerry

Jun 25, 2021, 3:19:59 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com

What serial port does it show on the option menu?  What serial port are you using and does it show okay on the Devise manager?

Jerry N7YGE

Keith VE7GDH

Jun 25, 2021, 3:27:11 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Dave K7GPS wrote…

> Radio is in packet mode. In PinPoint, there is a selection of radios to interface with. One is Kenwood TH-D74, and other option is KISS mode. I have tried both to no avail.

KISS mode mode would add a layer of complication, but is often better if the TNC and the APRS client can both do it.

> Using 9600 baud for the interface (using 1200 baud for the APRS on 144.39). Still no go.

If you fire up a terminal program, do you get a command prompt from the TNC? Can you control it to do a connect somewhere, or even turn MIN ON to verify it is decoding packets and spitting them out?

Does the D72 do KISS mode?

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 3:32:39 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Here's the snips from Pinpoint.

pinpoint1.JPG
pinpoint2.JPG

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 3:38:51 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
And froimage.png
m W10 Device Manager:

Jerry

Jun 25, 2021, 3:59:12 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com

Does yours have an N/A for the com port?  If so would it not have the com port you are using?  Maybe the TCP/IP Network needs to be turned off.

Jerry N7YGE

> or even turn MIN ON to verify it is decoding packets…

Obviously, that should’ve been MON ON for a monitor on!

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 6:59:52 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Jerry, if I select Kenwood TH-D74 then do I need to configure the COM port (change it from N/A to COM 3, which shows up???)
Dave

David Dobbins

Jun 25, 2021, 7:03:06 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Just FYI update. Having no luck with interfacing PinPoint APRS with the TH-D72, so switched over to APRSISCE/32 with the TH-D72 and the interface is mostly working, just need to get the GPS data from the radio into the program so it updates my own position. Will be assisting the Helena club tomorrow at FD with a balloon launch. APRS trackers will ID as N7RV-10 and N7RV-11 on a small capsule with 3-4 GoPro cameras, and a simplex repeater on 446.000 UHF. Initial flight profile looks to the south, Bozeman area, with hopes of reaching 100,000 ft.

Am not sure who else will be chasing. Perhaps some can monitor for burst and fall to help us zoom in for recovery. My cell 406-468-5130 and I'll monitor DMR MPRG1 31301

Bill Erhardt

Jun 25, 2021, 8:00:17 PM6/25/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill;

Don was out there with the porta potty guy so I had him grab it.. GPS.  is

46 45 44.05. By

-112 4 38.52.

I will recheck with my Garmin when I get out there.

Thanks

AJ7MT

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Jun 26, 2021, 1:21:59 AM6/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com

Just got home from Field Day area.  I would say you need to put in the com port number but mine will not turn from ghost to allow me to put in the number.  If you can that is what it needs I would think.

Jerry

image001.jpg
image002.png

David Dobbins

Jun 26, 2021, 12:02:13 PM6/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Correction balloon trackers N7RB-10 and -11 over Helena launched 0957MT

David Dobbins

Jun 27, 2021, 8:16:30 AM6/27/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Successful flight yesterday, and recovery near Jackson MT in a marshy field. We hit 115,315ft over Shaw Mountain sw of Butte. Photos to follow.
The simplex repeater was very active by hams in Montana and Idaho. Neat, cheap, project.
3 GoPro camera pictures being reviewed. Two AVRT510 trackers worked very well. See the results at aprs.fi/n7rb-10 and -11.
Huge kudos to the Malkovich Family in Jackson for their support in recovering the capsule package.
Dave K7GPS