Proposed Sign to be Posted on N7ME Repeater House

Jerry

May 26, 2021, 4:10:21 AM5/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com

When the new Zion’s Camp people arrived to begin their tenure at the camp they had lots of questions about the building.  So this does not happen again it was suggested we post a sign on the building.

No I do not want to post the repeater information on the sign.  Want to keep the sign as short as possible.  Anyone can go to the website and send an email if they need information.

I will print the sign in blue using a 3D Printer.  Sign is 11.5 “ long.

Jerry N7YGE

image003.jpg
NMARES Sign (2).jpg

David Dobbins

May 26, 2021, 7:59:22 AM5/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Jerry, if you prefer I can engrave a sign for you, just let me know the size you want. Dave K7GPS

Steve Stroh

May 26, 2021, 11:21:30 AM5/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Jerry:

Respectfully, I don't think referencing the club URL is good enough,
especially given that the club website only has a web form (which is
often very awkward to view and type into on a phone). Often an
immediate contact is needed, like a phone number for situations
like... a hiker has discovered that the door has been kicked in, or
there's other damage to the building or someone has tracked down the
repeater as a source of interference and needs info to shut it down
gracefully. Etc.

Just my $0.02.

Steve N8GNJ
> --

Steve Stroh (personal / general): steve...@gmail.com

Jerry

May 26, 2021, 1:06:12 PM5/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

I always appreciate input and I see your concern. To mitigate your concerns I offer that no one wants their phone number on the sign. The repeaters are monitored and can be shut down remotely. Or we can call the Zion's Camp Office and have them shut the power off. As far as vandalism, the people who manage Zion's Camp have a trailer 150feet from the shack. Also, the machine shop is used on a daily basis and the shack is behind it. The shack is behind a closed gate for security.

I have been at many repeater sites and I have not seen a sign for contact information. Is it a requirement that I have missed?

K7GPS has offered to make an engraved sign for us. This would be best as the 3D Printed sign with raised letters would deteriorate over time. So I do need to make sure the sign is 100% correct before giving him the specs for the sign.

Again, thank you for your input.

Jerry N7YGE
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nwaprs/CAGh1Bg6ra8ToE8BqiMbaVBAwL2wEyo2fENJ2LJd78RheY2N%3Dxg%40mail.gmail.com.

Steve Stroh

May 26, 2021, 1:50:29 PM5/26/21
to nwa...@googlegroups.com
Jerry:

I *think* that there IS an FCC requirement for contact info on towers.
Every cellular site I've ever seen, even the very small ones on top of
utility poles, has a contact plaque that specifies the tower ID
number, who is the responsible party (AT&T, tower owner like Crown
Castle, etc.), and a contact telephone number. At the few multi-user
sites I've been at, like Lookout Mountain in Whatcom County, there was
contact info for the site operator. The language is similar enough
that it appears to me that they're complying with a specific
requirement.

I can't cite any specifics, but I have read of situations where there
was interference (to something important) from a site. When the
interference was isolated to a tower, and there was no easy to find
contact info, the entity that found the interference was empowered to
"make the interference stop". Lacking any contact info, they simply
cut the power lines (they came prepared for that possibility,
apparently), including the backup generator. They left a strongly
worded note not to just reconnect power without correcting the
interference.

Your mileage may vary.

Steve N8GNJ