Beginner Beekeeper

Majestic Twitch

Jul 21, 2016, 12:38:51 PM7/21/16
to NWA Beekeepers
My name is Anna, I recently was given family land of 3 acres. I plan on building a home in the future years, I've been very interested in beekeeping for several years now and I want to soak up as much information as I possibly can. Tips and tricks are welcome, I've not acquired supplies yet to start my own colony but hope to in the near future. Financially I haven't been able to this year but I hope to start within the next two years if I can get the supplies together, I'm short on cash and want to know if I should save up and invest in top quality products to start out or if it's easier to start with cheaper hives. I hope to begin with nucs and plan on dropping in on a few meetings and meeting the apiary community. Anyone out there with the time and willingness to help out a noob keeper advice is always welcome :) thank you and I hope to meet some of you soon!!!

Dennis Counts

Jul 24, 2016, 10:36:57 PM7/24/16
to NWA Beekeepers
 Hi Anna, It is always best to buy quality equipment, but cheaper can be had.  The hives all cost about the same unless you can find some used.  If you order from one of the bee equipment suppliers hive bodies made of lesser quality wood are available.  Do come to the meetings, we have a large group of people with all types of experience.  Introduce yourself, ask questions and try to find someone who is willing to be a mentor to help answer questions and to show you the ropes.  There should also be a "Bee School" held the end of January and the beginning of February.  It is usually three nights a week apart.  Last year we had just over 300 people attend!