Our next book for March 5, 2011

kedword

Feb 1, 2011, 8:09:13 PM2/1/11
to nw-veg-b...@googlegroups.com
The NW Veg Book Club will be reading "The Unnatural History of the Sea" by Dr. Callum Roberts for the March 5th discussion.

This book is a fascinating historic depiction of what the oceans were like, taken from a variety of old accounts, and contrasted with the current conditions. Dr. Roberts is a Professor at the University of York in England, and he draws from many detailed historic records to try to create an accurate and shocking portrayal of what the ocean environment was actually like before the spread of fishing and the unceasing efforts to find wealth in the seas.  He then presents sound reasoning for the establishment of marine reserves to offer protection for species recovery.  The alternative is a complete collapse of ocean life as we know it.  This issue of marine reserves is presently being argued for our Oregon coast, so this is a timely topic.  Multnomah Co. Library has a couple of copies, and the book is readily available online and at some local outlets in printed form.  There is also an ebook option and one audio version available.  You won't have any trouble finding reviews of this book online, and it consistently brings strong approval from those who choose to read it.