Review of The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Peter Singer and Jim Mason

mcin...@gmail.com

Nov 5, 2007, 2:42:18 PM11/5/07
to NW Veg Book Club

As I am about to start our next selection, I think about The Way We
Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter as a good introductory book. Singer
and Mason employ an effective tool to compare the ethical implications
of various diets, but as a committed vegan, I found the ethical
questions were largely ones I have already considered. This book
could be a helpful resource for someone beginning to explore the
ethics of their personal food choices, but may not probe deeply enough
for those who have spent time considering the issue already. What was
most compelling to me about Singer and Mason's book was the glimpse
into how difficult tracing the origins of our food can be. Through
their efforts they expose not only the horrors of industrialized food,
but the difficulty the consumer faces in obtaining reliable
information about our food, where it comes from and how it is
produced. This book has certainly inspired me to be more vigilant in
following the Farm Bill.