a bit of a review of The Way We Eat

1 view

casadi...@hotmail.com

Nov 13, 2007, 1:45:14 AM11/13/07
to NW Veg Book Club
In The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter, Peter Singer and Jim
Mason explore a utilitarian approach to food choices and the treatment
of animals and the environment. As I do not subscribe to a utilitarian
philosophy that locates the right or wrong of actions in their
consequences and instead look to the inherent worth of sentient
beings, I struggled at times to entertain the arguments made. In the
end, however, I found the authors' objectivity useful as discussions
of animal welfare issues can become highly emotionally charged. The
book may prove helpful in guiding a dispassionate weighing of the
issues at hand. It did help me with providing a framework for
reexamining some of my decisions and exploring how my values have
shaped my thinking. The authors also provide resources for locating
more information and seeking out ethical food.

Casadi