Re: Is it possible to implement a feature where nvpy would edit txt files locally on a folder instead of json? Please see attached comment

Message has been deleted

Joseph Ramos

Apr 24, 2020, 12:24:56 PM4/24/20
to nvpy

Also, my main rationality for this is that I am predicting to work on aroung 100,000 txt files in the next coming year. I think the simplenote sync would slow it down.

Joseph Ramos

Apr 24, 2020, 1:16:32 PM4/24/20
to nvpy
 Here I generated 50,000 txt files, and it started lagging on the search bar. What do you think is a solution for this? :)
simplescreenrecorder-2020-04-25_01.13.27.mp4

平野 勇輝

Apr 25, 2020, 11:08:33 AM4/25/20
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your proposal. The same proposal already exists in the issue
tracker, and I know that some users desire it. I decided to implement to
new storage engine assumed to syncing with Google Drive, Dropbox, or
similar services. It can save notes to specified directory as plain text
files or markdown files. I hope for your understanding of the following
points:

* It takes time to implement and test. because I must work carefully to
prevent data corruption bugs.
* As described in the README, the main use case is to use as a
simplenote client. I prioritize syncing, saving, and UI issues over the
proposed feature.

> Also, my main rationality for this is that I am predicting to work on
aroung 100,000 txt files in the next coming year. I think the simplenote
sync would slow it down.

I have the same issue in my environment for a long time. According to
the results of I surveyed two months ago, this issue will improve by
support WebSocket API. However, it takes time to implement it. Think
about it realistically, support connection pooling and multi-threading
for the time being.

> Here I generated 50,000 txt files, and it started lagging on the
search bar. What do you think is a solution for this? :)

Probably, the cause is the process of refreshing notes list. An
effective workaround is to reduce the number of listed notes by entering
some words into the search box.
I assumed the maximum number of notes is about 5,000 notes. So nvPY
occurs various performance issues when many notes are created.

In the end, thanks for using nvpy. It seems that your use case is a
little different from the assumed use case. But your proposals and
suggestions are important for improving and maintaining nvpy. I'll work
to solve issues during holidays in May or Jun.

Arvin Cantal

Apr 25, 2020, 3:08:37 PM4/25/20
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Yuuki, please know that I will support you along the way.

I'll try to bring more people with the same usecase to nvpy im terms of users and probable sponsors.

Have a great day, and I hope you're doing well!

Joseph Ramos

Apr 26, 2020, 8:34:35 AM4/26/20
to nvpy

Hi , I was able to solve my own problem regarding the raw note files, turns out when I read the docs , you had this feature already but it was still in its beta stages.

[nvpy]

theme = clam
simplenote_sync = 0
notes_as_txt = 1
replace_filename_spaces = 0

I backed up the .nvpy folder with the notes and jsons to my google drive folder using Symlink. and it's now all good
I'll rely on this for now (hopefully the feature stays) :)
excited for the coming features.

Hope this helps people who want to use other forms of cloud storage.

平野 勇輝

Apr 26, 2020, 10:15:17 AM4/26/20
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Be careful! Currently, notes_as_txt feature is not tested enough. Please
keep in mind that I can not recommend it.

Perhaps, notes_as_txt feature will be okay if you turn off sync with
simplenote server. But I can't be sure. It's a good idea to backup
everything with Google Drive.

If we try to implement notes_as_txt correctly, the core logic is more
cases to consider, more complex implementations, and harder to test.
What I'm trying to do is mitigate the above issues and provides an
alternative feature of notes_as_txt.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvpy/d61cfe6b-1232-4f56-8cd0-f2ae8c17a8ee%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvpy/d61cfe6b-1232-4f56-8cd0-f2ae8c17a8ee%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Arvin Cantal

Apr 26, 2020, 2:15:03 PM4/26/20
to nv...@googlegroups.com
I turned the simple note sync off already :), if it's really not worth it, I'm alright with relying on offline json backups instead then :), I'll just retain the simple note sync to turned off.

Then I'll purely rely on the Json backups. Thanks for the heads up!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvpy/029a5467-39f3-2c12-15eb-a7fdffc4af82%40gmail.com.