Contributing to nvpy

Luca Fini

Apr 12, 2017, 8:17:21 AM4/12/17
to nvpy
I have a small contribution for nvpy (a menu item in Tools which shows the list of all tags).

Unfortunately I'n new to Github and I was ablo to clone the repository but I'm not able to commit my update, which I understand is required before issuing a pull request. What I get is:

remote: Permission to cpbotha/nvpy.git denied to lfini.
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy.git/': The requested URL returned error: 403

I suppose I must be authorized by the repository creator, although I do not find it mentioned in howto's

Can please someone give me hints on how to proceed?

many thanks,
                           l.

Charles Stanhope

Apr 12, 2017, 6:28:42 PM4/12/17
to nv...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Luca Fini <luca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a small contribution for nvpy (a menu item in Tools which shows the
> list of all tags).
>
> Unfortunately I'n new to Github and I was ablo to clone the repository but
> I'm not able to commit my update, which I understand is required before
> issuing a pull request. What I get is:
>
> remote: Permission to cpbotha/nvpy.git denied to lfini.
> fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy.git/': The
> requested URL returned error: 403

It looks like you may have been trying to push directly to cpbotha's
git repo. With GitHub pull request flow, you will need to do something
like the following:

0. Setup a GitHub account
1. Using GitHub, "fork" cpbotha's nvpy.git repo to your account
2. Clone your newly forked repo
3. Make a branch in your local, forked repo (git checkout -b <branch-name>)
4. Make your changes to local, forked repo
5. Commit changes to local, forked repo
6. Push changes and branch back to your forked repo on GitHub
7. On GitHub open pull request on cpbotha's nvpy.git repo referring to
your branch

GitHub has a lot of help available on their site:

https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo/

Good luck!