simplenote releases their own open source client!

Charl P. Botha

Mar 30, 2016, 2:42:42 AM3/30/16
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Simplenote has just released their own open source client for Windows and Linux: http://simplenote.com/2016/03/29/simplenote-for-windows-and-linux/

I'm going to give it a go to see what it's like.

Agustianes Umbara Suwardi

Jun 29, 2016, 10:30:42 PM6/29/16
to nvpy
I looks good and has markdown preview which i love. But the downside is that it gobbles up to 280MB of RAM while nvpy only takes about 2.4MB handling the same simplenote account!

Al Zatv

Sep 4, 2016, 8:13:52 AM9/4/16
to nvpy
Unfortunately, it have problems with sync. I lost some of my notes already.

Charl Botha

Sep 5, 2016, 4:26:28 AM9/5/16
to nv...@googlegroups.com

I'm afraid I also had syncing problems with the official Simplenote client on Linux when I first tested it in March of this year.

Personally, I'm also sticking to nvpy. ;P

Rob Munger

Oct 30, 2017, 1:46:23 PM10/30/17
to nvpy
Yeah, in terms of the resource demands, the following caught my eye from the client web page: "The app is built with React and runs on Electron." Checking out Electron, it says that "Electron uses Chromium and Node.js so you can build your app with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript."

Perhaps the reason that it is gobbling up 280MB of RAM is that it has a browser (Chromium) and and JavaScript based Webserver (Node.js) built into it. This looks like an efficient way to program in that Electron allows them to basically package up their existing web-based SimpleNote client.

I'm glad to hear that Yuuki has stepped up as maintainer of this lightweight client (NvPy). Also glad to see Automattic writing a prettier client for those who like that.