highlight matching file names in search results?

Allan Lorenz Cantal

Sep 13, 2021, 12:26:27 AM9/13/21
to nvpy

Presently, nvpy searches the contents of the entire notes and highlights only the contents when a note is activated.

Sometimes, though, when I search a specific file and the search term is coincidentally mentioned across different files, the file I'm looking for becomes hard to find and I have to look at each title one by one. It's a small issue, but I'd assume this also generates a lot of friction for others.

Is it possible to highlight matching file names in search results? Thank you

P.S. I don't know anything about programming

Originally posted at https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/issues/221

平野 勇輝

Sep 20, 2021, 12:08:57 PM9/20/21
to nv...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response.

It should be easy to implement, but we must be careful to keep
visibility of the search results because search is an important feature.
I'll try it when I have time.

On 9/13/21 1:26 PM, Allan Lorenz Cantal wrote:

> Presently, nvpy searches the contents of the entire notes and highlights
> only the contents when a note is activated.
>
> Sometimes, though, when I search a specific file and the search term is
> coincidentally mentioned *across different files*, the file I'm looking for
> becomes hard to find and I have to look at each title one by one. It's a
> small issue, but I'd assume this also generates a lot of friction for
> others.
>
> Is it possible to highlight matching file names in search results? Thank you
>
> P.S. I don't know anything about programming
>
> *Originally posted at https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/issues/221
> <https://github.com/cpbotha/nvpy/issues/221>*

平野 勇輝

Sep 21, 2021, 10:35:07 PM9/21/21
to Allan Lorenz Cantal, nv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allan,

I'm glad to have you use nvPY.
nvPY development pace is slow, but it's not abandoned. As long as I'm a nvPY user, I'll continue maintenance :-)

It should be easy to implement, but we must be careful to keep
visibility of the search results because search is an important feature
.
I'll try it when I have time.

What do you mean by keeping the visibility of the search results?
In the nvPY default color theme, highlight color is pale yellow. If search keywords are matched many note titles, the notes list will be dyed yellow. Maybe it will decrease visibility of note titles.
To prevent the above issue, we have to devise a way of highlighting note titles. This is what I mean.

Following two way are the stronger candidates:
  1. Use a different pale color, like the reference image.
  2. Use bold font, like google search.

Sincerely,
Yuuki

On 9/21/21 7:22 PM, Allan Lorenz Cantal wrote:
Hi Yuuki,

Thank you so much! I thought you weren't active anymore, so this was a pleasant surprise. :)

It should be easy to implement, but we must be careful to keep
visibility of the search results because search is an important feature
.
I'll try it when I have time.

What do you mean by keeping the visibility of the search results?
I think I haven't sent a screenshot, so here's where I got the idea from:

image.png
So the search results are still the same but the matching terms in filenames are also highlighted.

Regards,
Al

On Mon, Sep 20, 2021 at 4:07 PM 平野 勇輝 <yuuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry for the late response.

It should be easy to implement, but we must be careful to keep
visibility of the search results because search is an important feature.
I'll try it when I have time.

On 9/13/21 1:26 PM, Allan Lorenz Cantal wrote:

> Presently, nvpy searches the contents of the entire notes and highlights
> only the contents when a note is activated.
>
> Sometimes, though, when I search a specific file and the search term is
> coincidentally mentioned *across different files*, the file I'm looking for

> becomes hard to find and I have to look at each title one by one. It's a
> small issue, but I'd assume this also generates a lot of friction for
> others.
>
> Is it possible to highlight matching file names in search results? Thank you
>
> P.S. I don't know anything about programming

平野 勇輝

Sep 23, 2021, 8:56:09 AM9/23/21
to Allan Lorenz Cantal, nv...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allan,

I kinda have a small problem — when I type into nvpy (launched from Win+R) it seems to be slow. When I installed nvpy back then it worked just fine, if I can remember correctly. What could be the problem?
Do you manage a lot of notes by nvpy?

In starting up nvPY, load all notes from storage. If you have a lot of notes, the loading process will take a long time. Therefore, I recommend that make nvPY resident in the background.

Regards,
Yuuki

On 9/23/21 12:05 PM, Allan Lorenz Cantal wrote:
Hi Yuuki,

I'm glad to have you use nvPY.
nvPY development pace is slow, but it's not abandoned. As long as I'm a nvPY user, I'll continue maintenance :-)

Grateful for your efforts! I'm really amazed by open source programmers (one being christiantietze.de) because you guys do dedicate a lot of time — even after development — into something you don't even get profits from.

In the nvPY default color theme, highlight color is pale yellow. If search keywords are matched many note titles, the notes list will be dyed yellow. Maybe it will decrease visibility of note titles.
To prevent the above issue, we have to devise a way of highlighting note titles. This is what I mean.

Following two way are the stronger candidates:
  1. Use a different pale color, like the reference image.
  2. Use bold font, like google search.
Ah, gotcha. I understand how it would affect other users or when we start typing letters or common words.
Bold font seems the most subtle, yet still distinctive. :)
Personally, neither would be a problem for me because I use ID's for my notes :D

I kinda have a small problem — when I type into nvpy (launched from Win+R) it seems to be slow. When I installed nvpy back then it worked just fine, if I can remember correctly. What could be the problem?

Allan Lorenz Cantal
MSECE Student, Mapúa University