Nevada Working Families Launch “Final Four” Days Get Out the Vote Effort

1 view

Karl Stark, NV Workers Voice

Nov 2, 2012, 1:53:10 PM11/2/12
to Kas...@aflcio.org

For Immediate Release

November 2, 2012

Contact: Nevada Workers Voice

Karl Stark—702-583-5383

*Reporters are invited to attend GOTV activities and talk to activists*

Nevada Working Families Launch “Final Four” Days Get Out the Vote Effort

Volunteers hit the streets in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder, Henderson, Reno, Sparks, and Carson City

From Saturday, November 3 through Tuesday, November 6, Nevada working families will hit the streets for the AFL-CIO’s “Final Four” GOTV push. This turnout effort builds on the massive AFL-CIO Labor 2012 grassroots education program where more than 400,000 volunteers reached close to 20 million voters in 25 states. Working family volunteers in Nevada will be in Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Boulder, Henderson, Reno, Sparks, and Carson City over the final four days to talk to people about the stakes of the election.

“So much is at stake this election, which is why working families have been out in our communities knocking on doors and calling other Nevadans to talk about our issues,” said Carol Bivona-Fina, American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Local 1240. “Big corporate interests may spend millions on TV ads, but they can never build the relationships within our own communities.”

“In a final days before the election, Nevada’s union families are talking with working class voters about important economic issues like protecting Medicare, ending tax cuts for the rich and creating good jobs,” said Danny Thompson, Nevada AFL-CIO Executive Secretary Treasurer. “Working families have talked to their friends, neighbors and community members across the state and with the ‘Final Four’ GOTV push, we will ensure that everyone can and will make their voices heard at the ballot box.”

The AFL-CIO is also working on voter protection efforts. To report any irregularities or trouble voting, call the AFL-CIO’s voter protection hotline created as part of the My Vote, My Right campaign in the face of widespread voter suppression efforts:

1-866-OUR-VOTE.

Reporters are invited to attend canvasses and phone banks. For a list of available options, please contact Karl Stark: kas...@aflcio.org, 702-583-5383.

###