NVDA add-on for Tenji

Olga Koeva

Jun 3, 2023, 4:36:55 AM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
こんにちは。
わたしは おりゃ こえわです。4がつから にほんごを べんきょー します。にほんごが ちょっと ちょっと できます。
Now, I would like to continue in English because I have just started studying Japanese and my vocabulary is still quite limited.
I am totally blind and am studying Japanese using Tenji. My textbook is written on paper (in Tenji, of course) and I can read and write Tenji only on my iPhone with VoiceOver and the Braille display Active Braille. Because I also want to read and write Tenji on my computer I would like to ask you if there is an add-on for NVDA which allows a blind user to use Tenji. I have the latest version of NVDA and the only Japanese Braille table is for Kantenji, but not for Tenji. That's why, I want to ask you if a blind user can read and write Tenji with NVDA and if not, how can I develop an add-on for Tenji? I am using Windows 11 and NVDA in German.
I would be grateful for your help.
Best regards,
Olya

Takuya Nishimoto

Jun 3, 2023, 4:53:09 AM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Around 2012, it was difficult to make liblouis compatible with Japanese,
and it was also difficult to add a Braille translation engine to NVDA
as an add-on.

Therefore, we created a Japanese version of NVDA and implemented a
Japanese Braille
translation engine in a form that cannot be separated from NVDA.

Kantenji has been added to liblouis, but general Japanese Braille is
still only available
in the Japanese version of NVDA.

I think this issue is not properly understood, but related issues can
be found at the following link.

Takuya Nishimoto
nish...@gmail.com

2023年6月3日(土) 17:36 'Olga Koeva' via NVDA Japanese Users
<nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com>:
> --
> NVDA日本語版
> https://www.nvda.jp
> ---
> このメールは Google グループのグループ「NVDA Japanese Users」の登録者に送られています。
> このグループから退会し、グループからのメールの配信を停止するには nvda-japanese-u...@googlegroups.com にメールを送信してください。
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/63E8D1FC-23CF-46F9-B9C2-CA0350F7F986%40yahoo.de にアクセスしてください。

Olga Koeva

Jun 3, 2023, 7:37:58 AM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Takuya!
Thank you very much for your answer!
No problem, if the Japanese version of NVDA can be installed on a German version of Windows I will install it. Could you please send me the download link?
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 3 juni 2023 kl. 10:53 skrev Takuya Nishimoto <nish...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello,
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/CA%2B1QNYkDnyuvpDCxZWKxXc-%3Detj6-VrB1rAMdrJXQJqaJR33mw%40mail.gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

寺田知子

Jun 3, 2023, 12:05:12 PM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
It looks like you can get very good technical advice from Takuya
Nishimoto. I am a native speaker of Japanese, living in the United
States for almost thirty years. I think you should use the Japanese
version of NVDA. There is an English language webpage where you can
download it:
https://www.nvda.jp/en/

On 6/3/23, 'Olga Koeva' via NVDA Japanese Users
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/3E3E0D96-1901-4706-96F0-0973916A4C70%40yahoo.de
> にアクセスしてください。

Olga Koeva

Jun 3, 2023, 5:10:01 PM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tomoko!
Thank you very much for your answer!
Now I have NVDA in German. Shall I uninstall it before installing the Japanese version? Is the Japanese version compatible with my Windows 11 in German?
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 3 juni 2023 kl. 18:05 skrev 寺田知子 <seisha...@gmail.com>:
>
> It looks like you can get very good technical advice from Takuya
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/CA%2ByyYSAfq0T-DBNBTwegMG5EuTm9BFDu2VJ15OuNVb25_5ZtTw%40mail.gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

Yoshimi Horiuchi

Jun 3, 2023, 9:07:01 PM6/3/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olya,

Hi, my name is Yoshimi, and I am a native Japanese learning German for
some time. So we are sort of opposite.

I thought of sharing my experience with you with NVDA and Japanese and
German.
I have been using Japanese version of NVDA with Vocalizer as
synthesiser. I can use Japanese, English, German and Thai without
problem in terms of speech. But when I tried to use Braille display, I
had lots of problems. Even with vollschrift, it could not display
umlauts properly.

I tried to find out how to overcome this issue, but I haven't figured
out the best way yet.

If I were you, I will install the Japanese version without uninstalling
the German one and see how it goes.

It's been at least a year since I tried to tackle this issue, so it may
be better now. I hope you find out a sollution. If you find out
something, would be nice if you could share your tips!

Viel glück!
Yoshimi

Olga Koeva

Jun 4, 2023, 12:19:37 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yoshimi!
Thank you very much for your answer! Can you also type Tenji in the Japanese version of NVDA, not only read it?
When I install NVDA I would like to check if the input and output Braille table is Tenji. Could you please tell me how to find these settings? Please tell me the settings in Japanese because I have no idea how they are indicated.
Now a very off topic question to everyone who uses vocalizer and Infovox from Acapela Group (sorry for that but I'm very curious). Do you know who are the speakers behind the synthesizers Kyoko from Nuance/Vocalizer and Sakura from Acapela/Infovox? Maybe they are professional actors, singers, readers of audiobooks... Who are they? These TTS voices are based on human voices. The speakers record texts at a studio and then the developers produce the TTS software based on these recordings.
Thanks for your answer,
Olya

> Dear Olya,
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/d73e9db0-daf7-6f9a-7269-a6add3f33a2f%40gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

Yoshimi Horiuchi

Jun 4, 2023, 12:53:01 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Olya,

Can you also type Tenji in the Japanese version of NVDA, not only read it?
↑ What do you mean by this? You mean, you would like to type documents
like MS Word or notepad, using six keys like in Braille? I have never
done it before, and have no idea how you can do that even!

  When I install NVDA I would like to check if the input and output
Braille table is Tenji. Could you please tell me how to find these
settings? Please tell me the settings in Japanese because I have no idea
how they are indicated.
Settings in Japanese is 設定 (settei)

Best,

Yoshimi

Olga Koeva

Jun 4, 2023, 1:22:54 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yoshimisan!
Yes, exactly, I want to type in Tenji (6 dot Japanese Braille based on Kanamoji) in Word or the text editor (TXT files). How do you usually type in Japanese?
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 4 juni 2023 kl. 06:53 skrev Yoshimi Horiuchi <yoshimi....@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi, Olya,
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/927849c1-1786-93da-5d32-98501a3b55e0%40gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

Suzuki Mitsuo

Jun 4, 2023, 1:36:26 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com

Hello Olga,

I don't have experience with Windows German version as well as braille, but I can say following.

I have experience with running portable copy of NVDA Japanese version on Windows Server 2008 / 2012 / 2016 English version without any problem.  So I think you can try portable copy if you have any concern with uninstalling NVDA from your PC.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Mitsuo Suzuki

Windows メール から送信

Jun 4, 2023, 1:49:49 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
      Hello Mitsuosan!
  Thank you very much!
  I'll give it a try later today.
      Best,
      Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

4 juni 2023 kl. 07:36 skrev Suzuki Mitsuo <msu...@hotmail.com>:

このメールは Google グループのグループ「NVDA Japanese Users」に登録しているユーザーに送られています。
このグループから退会し、グループからのメールの配信を停止するには nvda-japanese-u...@googlegroups.com にメールを送信してください。
このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/SEZPR06MB50227255B31D9BC8E378340DAF4CA%40SEZPR06MB5022.apcprd06.prod.outlook.com にアクセスしてください。

Yoshimi Horiuchi

Jun 4, 2023, 3:04:19 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olya,

I type Japanese using Roman alphabet. It's similar to the Japanese keyboard for iPhone, called 日本語ローマ字 nihongo Romaji.

Here is a little article about Romaji typing:

https://www.tofugu.com/japanese/how-to-type-in-japanese/

Do you usually type German or English using Braille input method on Windows?

Best,

Yoshimi

Olga Koeva

Jun 4, 2023, 5:27:59 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Yoshimi,
I use Braille input in every language I speak or study. For Japanese, I use Tenji (Japanese Braille table) on the iPhone for typing. I don't use Romaji. I read and type on the Braille display (Tenji display).
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 4 juni 2023 kl. 09:04 skrev Yoshimi Horiuchi <yoshimi....@gmail.com>:
>
> Dear Olya,
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/2a1754ab-0b44-681b-2719-2967201eca16%40gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

Kojiro Kuyo

Jun 4, 2023, 7:52:41 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olya,

  My name is Kojiro, I speak Japanese.

  I am using NVDA Japanese version.

Unfortunately, the NVDA Japanese version does not support Japanese
braille input.

However, there is an application that allows Braille input using the
Moon keyboard on a PC. Enter the 6 keys of "F D S J K L" on the PC as if
they were 6 points of braille.

The name of the application is "やむ6点". You can download it from below.

https://pcyam.com/game2/yam6ten/hp/

  Thanks.

--
Kojiro Kuyo
E-Mail mai...@sf-dream.com

Olga Koeva

Jun 4, 2023, 9:57:44 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kojiro,
Thank you very much for your answer!
How to say "download" in Japanese? I suppose that the website where you can download the application from is in Japanese. I'm sceptical regarding Google Translate.
Does the Japanese version of NVDA support Japanese Braille (Tenji) output?
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 4 juni 2023 kl. 13:52 skrev Kojiro Kuyo <mai...@sf-dream.com>:
>
> Dear Olya,
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/3245cffe-94b2-1e21-29e6-ca9e47635664%40sf-dream.com にアクセスしてください。

Kojiro Kuyo

Jun 4, 2023, 10:51:25 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Olya,

NVDA Japanese version supports Japanese braille output.

Kojiro Kuyo
このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/EA10E956-D42E-4502-82F1-5B2B39BFAE03%40yahoo.de にアクセスしてください。

Olga Koeva

Jun 4, 2023, 11:10:25 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Kojiro,
Nice to read this really good news! I'll give it a try today and will see how it works: both NVDA and that Tenji application.
Best,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/9734554.1.1685890280603%40localhost にアクセスしてください。

Minako Nonogaki

Jun 4, 2023, 11:30:39 AM6/4/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hello, Olivia.
My name is Minako Nonogaki.

"Download" in Japanese is "ダウンロード".

In the web page below, which Kojiro mentioned,
https://pcyam.com/game2/yam6ten/hp/

You can access the folder type(zipped) download from the below URL (I
copied from the page),
https://pcyam.com/game2/yam6ten/hp/yam6ten.zip
and
installer type download from the below URL
https://pcyam.com/game2/yam6ten/hp/setup.exe

I think this software uses Japanese language also in installation and
utilization.

Sincerely,
Minako Nonogaki

2023年6月4日(日) 22:57 'Olga Koeva' via NVDA Japanese Users
<nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com>:
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/EA10E956-D42E-4502-82F1-5B2B39BFAE03%40yahoo.de にアクセスしてください。

Olga Koeva

Jun 5, 2023, 1:25:41 AM6/5/23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hello Minako and everyone!
I have downloaded both NVDA and the Tenji app. But before installing NVDA I have a last question. On the website where NVDA could be downloaded, it was mentioned that a Braille add-on was released that could be used with the original version of NVDA. Can it also be used with the German version of NVDA without installing the Japanese version of NVDA? If so could you please send me the add-on?
Thanks in advance,
Olya

Skickat från min iPhone

> 4 juni 2023 kl. 17:30 skrev Minako Nonogaki <minakon...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello, Olivia.
> このディスカッションをウェブ上で閲覧するには、https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nvda-japanese-users/CAOKRj70Yq8APwW9pW8NzhRtWKMAMY%2BBypKNjNs9Po2HMMmnWbQ%40mail.gmail.com にアクセスしてください。

Olga Koeva

Mar 23, 2024, 1:56:47 AMMar 23
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Minako, Kojiro, Tomoko, Mitsuo and everyone!
I FINALLY had time to study how to use NVDA and Yam6ten and now it works to type in Hiragana with the 6 keys of the normal keyboard as if they were keys of my Braille display, and to read everything on my Braille display with NVDA. I'm grateful for your tips and detailed explanations!!!
Best,
Olya
Skickat från min iPhone