NVDA, Yam6Ten and Kanji

Olga Koeva

Apr 14, 2024, 7:16:29 AMApr 14
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone!
I have FINALLY learned how to use Yam6Ten with NVDA and my Braille display thanks to Kojirosan's useful tips! So now, I'm able to write everything only in Hiragana and, for example, to send my homework to my sighted Japanese sensei in Word. However, I also want to be able to use Kanji with NVDA and Yam6Ten, as it is the case with VoiceOver on the iPhone. How can I use them? I haven't added a Japanese keyboard yet. Maybe I should do it?
I would be grateful for your tips.
Best,
Olya
Skickat från min iPhone

Kojiro Kuyo

Apr 14, 2024, 9:11:25 AMApr 14
to nvda-japa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Olya,

To input Kanji on Windows, you need to install Microsoft IME.
I will write the steps below, but since I don't have an English version
of Windows on hand, please note that the steps may be slightly incorrect.

1. Press Windows Key + I to open the settings screen.
2. Press the Tab key, use the arrow keys to select "Time & Language" and
press Enter, press the Tab key, use the arrow keys to select "Language &
region" and press the Enter key.
3. Select "Add a language" using the tab key and press the enter key.
4. Search for "Japanese" and press "Next" using the tab key and press
the enter key.
5. Make sure that "Language pack" is checked and press the enter key on
"Install".
6. Press Windows + B keys and use the arrow keys to select "ENG" and
press enter to select "Japanese" Microsoft IME.
Now you are ready to input Japanese.

In Japanese, we use Roman characters (English alphabet) along with
Japanese characters (hiragana, katakana, kanji). Therefore, enter
characters while switching between Japanese input mode and Romaji input
mode.
To switch between Japanese input mode and Romaji input mode, press

Best.

--
Kojiro Kuyo
E-Mail mai...@sf-dream.com