Clarifying the group direction

Conal Elliott

Oct 3, 2008, 2:23:12 AM10/3/08
to nvc-e...@googlegroups.com
Over the months, this group has drifted from what I originally wanted to build.  I regret that I didn't intervene earlier to inject some clear direction.  I'd like to give it a shot now.

I'd like to make clear that I'm not looking to please or include everybody with this group.  There are lots of alternatives, and it's easy to make new groups.  What I specifically want is a community I resonate with.  One I recognize as interested in joining in the kind of play/work I want to do.

I've recently objected to long posts.  On reflection, I realize that the length issue is only secondary for me.  Primary is the disconnection from what I care about.

So, I'm offering some new clarity for the community I'm inviting in the form of this group, which is now available at http://evolve.awakeningcompassion.com/discussion-group-description/ .

Some people have stopped participating in this group due to lack of interest in the last few months of exchanges.  I hope those people will perk up if they are excited about this clarified purpose for this community.  I expect that others will want something other than what I'm offering, and I wish them well in finding and creating communities that suit their inspirations and inclinations.

  - Conal

Angela Harms

Oct 3, 2008, 4:28:39 PM10/3/08
to nvc-e...@googlegroups.com
It looks to me like some folks are in pain around what they see is an attempt on your part to use "power-over," to make demands that look like requests, and to be unwilling to engage in an nvc-dialogue to solve the problem of your unhappiness around what the list has become.

[And here's where it connects with the topic (evolving nvc) for me.]
I'm curious, and excited. I think I see a version of NVC developing that's rich with opportunities for learning and growth.

Would you (Conal) be willing to talk a little about whether you see yourself as making requests, making demands or using force? And maybe whatever else comes up for you as you work on what I think is the base problem, not having the list you want.

Angela

Conal Elliott

Oct 3, 2008, 5:47:46 PM10/3/08
to nvc-e...@googlegroups.com
Would you (Conal) be willing to talk a little about whether you see yourself as making requests, making demands or using force?

I'm making an invitation to come play with me.  And until I'm confident that we're playing the same game, people will find that they have to knock before entering.  (Thanks very much for your treehouse-poker story.)  To answer your question:

Demand: I can't find one, since I don't notice any attachment to anybody granting my request.  I have other fun games to play.

Force: at first, you'll have to knock, so that we can have focus for this game, and others can discover and recognize what we're up to.

maybe whatever else comes up for you as you work on what I think is the base problem, not having the list you want.

I'm really grateful for my renewed clarity about what I want here, after a period of dissatisfaction and discouragement.  I'm joyfully and peacefully curious about what will emerge in this space.

Warmly,  - Conal