Feature Request: Could you support parsing multiple merge tags that don't require spaces between them, please?

Bob Warrick

Jun 24, 2019, 6:25:34 PM6/24/19
to NV Autocrat Add-on
I use tags in a Google doc for a letter salutation such as the following:  Notice the spaces between merge tags:

Dear <<First Name>> <<And>> <<Spouse First Name>>,

Since there may not always be a spouse, my spreadsheet, used for the merge data, has conditional logic as to whether or not to include "and" when there is a spouse:

=if(isblank(AD3),,"and")

This works for the merge but leaves a space after the First Name and then puts the comma, instead of the comma being immediately right after the First Name.

I tried a solution where I take out all spaces on the merge tags:

Dear <<First Name>><<And>><<Spouse First Name>>,

and added spaces before and after "and" in an "And" column on the spreadsheet:

=if(isblank(AD3),," and ")

When I jam the merge tags together with no space between, only the first merge tag renders; the other merge tags render the tag itself instead of the merged data.

Feature Request: Could you support parsing multiple merge tags that don't require spaces between them, such as: <<tag1>><<immediately followed by tag2>>, please?

Joseph Schmidt

Jun 25, 2019, 8:49:25 AM6/25/19
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Why not make your formula little more complicated and calculate exactly what you want. Then you would only have one merge tag.

Joe Schmidt

God Loves US All