Cancel running job?

Abe Hendin

May 7, 2020, 1:55:24 PM5/7/20
to NV Autocrat Add-on
Hello, all. I can't seem to cancel a running job. Let's say I realize I forgot to update something in my template, or omitted restoration of my dynamic folder reference key after other testing. There is no Stop Job option. If I close the AutoCrat window or even quit Chrome, the job keeps chugging away. (I guess this confirms that it's running on Google's servers, not locally.) Eventually it stops, but only after some 50+ docs are generated, and I then have to delete those. Is there a way to kill a running job?
Thanks,
Abe Hendin

Brian McKenzie

May 7, 2020, 2:30:03 PM5/7/20
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Abe - I feel your pain, and was thinking about this very thing yesterday. Unfortunately it appears not.

Brian McKenzie, Principal
Patrick Fogarty Catholic Secondary School
15 Commerce Rd, Orillia, ON, L3V 0Z2
Twitter: @PrincipalPF
Instagram: @Principal_PF

"We can't be content with knowing the kind of people we are. It matters, too, the kind of people we hope to be." - Anthony Appia

This is a staff email account managed by Simcoe Muskoka Catholic District School Board.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Abe Hendin

May 7, 2020, 5:50:51 PM5/7/20
to NV Autocrat Add-on
Hi, Brian. Thanks for confirming that you can't find this option, either. I sure wish I had time to dig deeper into the GSuite API to understand whether it's a limitation of the API or should be an AutoCrat feature request. I'm guessing it's a limitation. Meanwhile, it's a great tool.

Y Egan

May 9, 2020, 2:39:26 PM5/9/20
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com

I’m facing the same issue, and my attempts to instantaneously stop the merge job have been unsuccessful so far. So, I have been implementing a sort of a workaround solution by adding an extra merge condition. Here is what I do:

Create an additional column “Run AutoCrat” to the data sheet, and set up a merge condition (Step #7 in AutoCrat setup) as “Run AutoCrat equals NOT NULL”.

When I want to run AutoCrat manually, I enter “Y” in this “Run AutoCrat” column for the couple of rows to test out the merge. When I am satisfied with the test merge result, then I go back to the data sheet, and set all the rows to “Y”, and then run the merge again to finish up the job.

Like I said, this is not a true solution but just a workaround… My thinking being, at least, I wouldn’t have to watch the unwanted merge go on and on after realizing my mistake.

Yoshiko Egan

Design.TL...@gmail.com

Abe Hendin

Brian McKenzie

Mike K

Feb 23, 2022, 1:37:24 PM2/23/22
to NV Autocrat Add-on
I've repeatedly seen this be an issue, especially for newer users.  A simple Y/N confirmation message when you click run job would go a long way.  You even have to confirm the preview, so why leave the job itself open to an errant button push?