Hyperlink being offset to other <<tags>> in generated document

Katharine

Sep 21, 2023, 11:38:35 PM9/21/23
to NV Autocrat Add-on
Hyperlink link label, Purchase on Amazon, is being inserted into the generated document as plain text. The URL, meanwhile, is being attached to other tags and parts of other tags. Here are the relevant screenshots:

Hyperlink in the spreadsheet--it works:

Hyperlink in the spreadsheet.jpg
Template:
Template.jpg
Autocrat hyperlink setup:
Autocrat hyperlink setup.jpg
Resulting document:
Resulting document.jpg
What can I do?

Emma Riddell

Sep 23, 2023, 12:11:19 AM9/23/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Katharine,

For a hyperlink to work in Autocrat it can't be a hyperlink in the underlying sheet. Remove the link on the sheet so the hyperlink data is text only in the cell that populates the hyperlink field on your Autocrat merge. It took me a while to get it working - but trust me it does. Somehow having it as a 'live' hyperlink on the sheet and hyperlink in Autocrat cancels each other out causing it to become plain text on the final document🤔 .

Hope this helps 😊

Ngā mihi maioha

Emma

Kristianne Sunde

Sep 29, 2023, 4:25:41 PM9/29/23
to NV Autocrat Add-on
Hi Emma,

Following up on your advice to the other user. I just posted a similar thread, and am encountering a similar issue. However, in my source document the sheet is performing a vlookup to pull back the appropriate hyperlink. How can I retain that hyperlink as text only in my source workbook if its in a vlookup?

Thank you in advance,
Kristi

Emma Riddell

Oct 1, 2023, 3:37:04 AM10/1/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kristianne & Katharine,

I think that maybe the easiest thing for both of you would be to create a new column with the formula below that converts the hyperlink to text and use the data in the new column for the merge field instead.

Example formula to use as follows (put this is Row 1)

={"Convert to text";ARRAYFORMULA(HYPERLINK("&A2:A&",A2:A))} replace cell reference with your column @Kristianne, you would reference the output column of your vlookup.

Make sure that the Field type in the Autocrat setup is set to HYPERLINK. Note you can use the original Hyperlink column (A) and change the merge type to Hyperlink, but for some reason I've found using it this way can be a bit glitchy (or it used to be).

image.png

Hope this helps and all the best 😉. If this doesn't work, sharing your sheet is often easier so we can see exactly what you are trying to do.

Ngā mihi maioha

Emma

Joseph Schmidt

Oct 1, 2023, 11:50:08 AM10/1/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
I think we might be getting confused as to what is a hyperlink.  Using Emma's example, column D contains a link and I have found that links work in Autocrat.

The only issue is when the cell is empty.  Autocrat doesn't know how to deal with that situation.

Column E uses the Hyperlink function to create an entry in a cell that contains a title and the link.  Autocrat does not know how to work with this kind of link.

Autocrat is trying to create the same type of link in the output.

I would be happy to do a Zoom or Meet to see the actual spreadsheet before giving more advice.  I'm GLUA.Joe @ Gmail.com.

Kristianne Sunde

Oct 1, 2023, 12:37:28 PM10/1/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Joe and Emma! I will be tackling and testing out these solutions Monday PST. I believe that will solve the problem except for the blank values. I will test and report back. Thank you!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "NV Autocrat Add-on" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nv-autocrat-add-on/CAPWPTOQAdH8FU_E24b_VdWHtNuGDTObWYg7G5bS%2ByjUvzh17DQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Joseph Schmidt

Oct 1, 2023, 3:14:32 PM10/1/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
If you have problems with blank links, I suggest you provide a link to anything.  It could be a link to a jpeg that indicates no link provided.

I don't remember the circumstances but I seem to remember Autocrat picking up links from other rows when the row was empty.

Katharine

Oct 1, 2023, 7:47:13 PM10/1/23
to NV Autocrat Add-on
Thanks to all of you, but nothing so far has worked. I think I'm just gonna give up and fix the links manually in the resulting doc.

Joseph Schmidt

Oct 1, 2023, 10:52:46 PM10/1/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Katharine,

I updated my example to include a Vlookup with unmatched.  See Example folder

By using the title feature, gives you more control.  Just putting any text for the unmatched / blank values will create a link that is invalid.  It keeps Autocrat happy.

Using the title feature is icing on the cake.  The important thing is to be sure and pass a text value when using the Hyperlink feature.

When Autocrat is happy, the customer is happy.

Kristianne Sunde

Oct 2, 2023, 1:41:40 PM10/2/23
to nv-autocr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe! Are you available to do a Zoom meeting? I'm not sure if you're in the US or what time zone, but I'd love your help!