WebKit MSE support (arch)

laramy black

Oct 7, 2017, 11:11:32 AM10/7/17
to Nuvola Apps Development
looking to maintain pkgbuilds for arch.
So far so good.
Now i need to verify if arch packagers are including mse in their webkit builds.

I have the inspector window open, but a little lost after that. What steps do i need to run to verify that the prebuilt arch package has MSE support?

Thanks

Andrew Stubbs

Oct 7, 2017, 1:18:27 PM10/7/17
to Nuvola Apps Development

Try this page for a good start:

https://www.youtube.com/html5

Andrew

laramy black

Oct 7, 2017, 11:08:02 PM10/7/17
to Nuvola Apps Development

Thanks for the tip.
Loaded the youtube app. opened inspector. changed the about link to point to html5 and looks like arch maintainers do not enable MSE. looks like i am making my own.

Screenshot from 2017-10-07 20-05-49.png

fenryxo

Oct 8, 2017, 2:20:23 AM10/8/17
to Nuvola Apps Development
Hello Laramy,

1. Launch any script that requires MSE ('Feature[MSE]' in metadata.json's requirements field, e.g. BBC iPlayer, Microsoft Groove). Note that scripts without 'Feature[MSE]' have MSE disabled in runtime even if WebKitGTK supports it (e.g. YouTube script).
2. Open WebKit WebInspector.
3. Switch to JavaScript console.
4. Type `window.MediaSource` and press Enter. Is should show:

function MediaSource() {

[native code]
}

Note that WebKitGTK has MSE disabled by default for good reasons. Some websites don't work with it (Deezer), some crash. To build WebKitGTK with MSE, pass -DENABLE_MEDIA_SOURCE=ON to the configure script.

Best regards,

Jiri Janousek

laramy black

Oct 8, 2017, 11:53:29 PM10/8/17
to Nuvola Apps Development
Thanks for that heads up. This answered my question about arch's default package.
Arch default webkit no mse

Future plans.
Build a mse version of webkit
Build 2 nuvola runtimes one with mse and one with out.
Update nuvola apps to reflect dependencies on mse