Call for minimal Python version

fenryxo

Jun 22, 2018, 4:35:11 PM6/22/18
to Nuvola Apps Development
Dear friends,

I'd like to modernize, review and improve all Python scripts, notably Nuvola SDK, and increase minimal Python version during that. Is it ok to raise it to Python 3.6? It has complete support for type annotations and formatted string literals make the code more legible.

I'm aware of only two third-party builds - for Fedora and Arch Linux - and both of them already contain Python 3.6. The same situation is in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Debian stable doesn't have Python 3.6, but it can be easily backported in a non-conflicting way (just don't install /usr/bin/python but only /usr/bin/python3.6).

Jiri Janousek

Bors Ltd

Jun 23, 2018, 4:40:19 AM6/23/18
to nuvola-pl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can understand your eagerness to use the latest Python version, I'm a Python developer in my daily job, but I think you're raising the bar for newcomers, and the flatpak setup is already a thing to overcome.

Debian is somewhat the de-facto standard for minimal versions, and the stable release offers Python 3.5, which is already good. You've got many new tools and improvements, including coroutines.

Hervé

fenryxo

Jul 10, 2018, 3:39:34 AM7/10/18
to Nuvola Apps Development
Thanks for your feedback. I've decided to stick to Python 3.5 until the next stable Debian release.

Jirka