How Nutiteq can show/display edited openstreetmap data on Android?

Aloisius Gonzaga

Mar 6, 2017, 11:59:32 PM3/6/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Hello.. I am newbie in android dev and need some advice ...

I want to build an android map app with Openstreetmap, and I have edited the openstreetmap with JOSM, but i don't know what should i do next. I learn about nutiteq lib and i still don't understand how to display/show the map that i've edited to my android app using nutiteq lib? may be there is some tutorial that can explain about it.

Thanks :D

aa...@cartodb.com

Mar 7, 2017, 2:55:45 AM3/7/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Hey!

First off: I suggest you start using Carto Mobile SDK. Nutiteq is an old version that won't be supported for that long.

That being said, here are sample projects:

Official documentation is available at:

Best wishes
Aare
CARTO Mobile

Aloisius Gonzaga

Mar 7, 2017, 5:06:45 AM3/7/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Hi.. Thanks for your information.

I have seen these links, but I have not found how to display .osm / .map into my android app.
Would you show me, which part of the examples that show it?

Thank You :D

aa...@cartodb.com

Mar 8, 2017, 3:01:19 AM3/8/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Oh...

Sadly, that's not supported. You need to convert your data to raster or vector tiles first.

Best wishes,
Aare
CARTO Mobile

Aloisius Gonzaga

Mar 8, 2017, 3:38:47 AM3/8/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Hmmm...

Ok.., i"ll try it. But i don't know tools that i can use to convert my map.
Any suggestion?

Thanks :D

aa...@cartodb.com

Mar 8, 2017, 11:55:09 AM3/8/17
to Nutiteq-dev

Did you edit the actual OSM Global map? If so, then it'll be visibile in our SDK in a week or so.

Alternatively, you could upload the data to CARTO, then it'll be easily available in our SDK.

However, CARTO accepts Shapefile, GeoJSON etc, not .osm.
.osm -> GeoJSON converter is available here: https://github.com/tyrasd/osmtogeojson (haven't tried it, but looks rather promising)

GeoJSON, in turn, could also be theoretically convered to .mbtiles, a format we support for full offline usage, with tippcanoe, but then you'll also face additional hurdles with designing etc. CARTO would be the easier option

Aloisius Gonzaga

Mar 8, 2017, 9:25:02 PM3/8/17
to Nutiteq-dev
I took an osm data that i want from the internet then i edited it with JOSM.

Well.. How to upload the data to CARTO? What's format files that support with CARTO?

Basically, i must convert my data into .mbtiles format?

By the way, thanks for your advice :D
sorry if my english is not good..

Jaak L

Mar 9, 2017, 9:37:55 AM3/9/17
to Nutiteq-dev

Mobile SDK supports mbtiles, but you cannot directly convert OSM to mbtiles. You can upload to CARTO server GeoJSON, Shapefiles, or geopackage, and this outputs vector tiles which are usable in SDK using CARTO Maps API (https://carto.com/docs/carto-engine/mobile-sdk/sdk-with-other-carto-tools#maps-api).

Jaak

Aloisius Gonzaga

Mar 10, 2017, 12:57:03 AM3/10/17
to Nutiteq-dev
Hello Jaak...

Thanks for your information and i'll try it.. :D

and there is a line of code that i don't understand :

If you understand, would u tell me about it?

Thanks :D

Jaak Laineste

Mar 10, 2017, 1:31:17 AM3/10/17
to nutit...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

CARTO is providing OSM (or HERE as option) as bundled base map service, but you can technically use other different map providers: your own server, mapzen, mapbox, and there are many others who provide raster or vector tiles, even Google and HERE themselves do this. This code requests vector map as tiles from  mapbox for example

Jaak