Meningitis vaccination

sagutri...@smcm.edu

Jul 26, 2017, 11:19:18 AM7/26/17
to Nurse Directors
I am curious about Immunization requirements of your institutions.  We basically follow the CDC and ACHA guidelines.  Meningitis vaccine is required for all residential students and must be received after age 16 or with in the past 5 years.  We currently do not require Meningitis B.  And in fact in our county there is no pharmacy, urgent care, or health department that offers Meningitis B.  However, I have students coming who have received both types of vaccines.  Most often they have only the the meningococcal conjugate.
My specific question is related to students who had a meningococcal conjugate vaccine before age 16 and more than 5 years ago, but had a recent Trumenba vaccine.  Do evidence based practice immunization protocols compel/support us to require another meningococcal conjugate dose or does Trumenba count as an alternate to the requirement?

Thank you for any information or opinion you may have on this subject.

Respectfully,

Stephenie

Carl Shaner

Jul 26, 2017, 11:51:28 AM7/26/17
to sagutri...@smcm.edu, Nurse Directors

Stephanie,

Great question and after just having a meeting about this yesterday, here is my take on the issue.  The conjugate vaccine is still the valid requirement as you have seen from ACIP, AAP, and ACHA.  The conjugate vaccine will cover you for A,C,W, and Y and should be repeated after a 5 year interval for coverage of the 4 strain.  For those students coming with only MenB, they would only have protection against that strain (B), but this is about 1/3 of all cases of meningitis in the United States.

As you can see from literature all agencies continue to make the conjugate vaccine a requirement, and the Men B a strongly recommended product.  Here is the statement that sets this aside for me: “The current low prevalence of MenB, coupled with the fact that important data for making policy recommendations for MenB vaccines are not yet available, resulted in the ACIP concluded that insufficient evidence exists to make a routine health  recommendation for all adolescents, however given the seriousness of the disease, evidence suggests the importance of individual clinical decision making.”

As a provider we should be thinking “Individual clinical decision making” cannot occur if a patient does not know about the vaccine and the disease.  By discussing the vaccine and availability we are thus doing are part on education parents/students on the importance of the vaccine.

Good news is both should be covered under  the Vaccines for Children Program.  Hopefully the future hold both of these vaccines as required for attendance at our institutions.

Best wishes and keep up the good fight for inclusivity of all vaccines for our students.

Carl

Carl Shaner, MSN, EMT
Pennsylvania College of Technology
Director of College Health Services | College Health Services
csh...@pct.edu | 570-320-5234

JOIN THE CONVERSATION!
http://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/twitteremail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/linkedinemail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/facebookemail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/tumblremail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/instagramemail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/pinterestemail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/youtubeemail.gifhttp://www.pct.edu/cgi-bin/images/googleplusemail.gif

This email may contain confidential information about a Pennsylvania College of Technology student. It is intended solely for the use of the recipient. This email may contain information that is considered an “educational record” subject to the protections of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act Regulations. The regulations may be found at 34 C.F.R. Part 99 for your reference. The recipient may only use or disclose the information in accordance with the requirements of the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act Regulations. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the email.