Occupations Health

Sandy Sargent

Sep 2, 2017, 11:31:10 AM9/2/17
to nurse-d...@googlegroups.com

To tag onto my last email, our health services clinic is being asked to consider adding access to medical care for our employees. We currently case manage work-related injuries only in first aid cases. Once they need a higher level of care, they are referred to our contracted employee health program at the local hospital.

Does anyone else do this? What pitfalls are there in combining employee and student visits? They are also considering having preventative programming be out of our office by combining employee health with students.  Help......

Sandy Sargent BSN,RN,PHN

Director Health Services

Pacific Union College

Andersen, Brenda

Sep 3, 2017, 4:59:48 PM9/3/17
to Sandy Sargent, nurse-d...@googlegroups.com

For all these years, we have been able to keep work comp and employee health out of our clinic, partly because we did not have enough staff to see our own students who fund us!  We do assist with triaging and helping first aid cases but generally refer out work related injuries including student employment work comp.  It keeps things simpler, and then we don’t need to get involved in the work comp legal situations that can occur.  I was an occ health nurse for 10 yrs many moons ago, and with that experience, I think that is the best way to operate.  Good luck with this too!

Brenda

Brenda Andersen, RN, CNP

Associate Director

South Dakota State University

Student Health Clinic and Counseling Services

Brookings Family Planning Clinic

Wellness Center

Box 2818

N. Campus Drive

Brookings, SD  57007

Phone: 1-605-688-4157

Fax: 1-605-688-6450

Brenda....@sdstate.edu

Stay Informed of all things wellness!

Stay Informed of all things wellness!

Facebook logo 1Pintrest Logo Twitter logo1 Youtube 1 Instagram logo

Wellness Center Logo

#sdstatewellnesscenter

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message including attachments contains information which may be confidential, privileged and legally protected from unauthorized disclosure. Unless you are the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained herein. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the message. Thank you.

The mission of South Dakota State University Student Health Clinic and Counseling Services is to promote the health and wellness of the university community, to enhance student retention, and to support academic and personal success of all students.

Sandy Sargent

Sep 4, 2017, 4:15:07 PM9/4/17
to Andersen, Brenda, nurse-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes, what your set up is at your university is what we are currently doing in ours. I agree that its the best way to go. Thanks for the affirmation on that. Did you have any thoughts about having the title 9 investigator as my  first line staff person in the office? Doesn't that seem to be a liability and conflict of interest? I'm a bit frustrated with my administration (again) that they expect me to take this employee on now that her position as employee wellness has been cut. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sandy

Sep 5, 2017, 10:36:12 AM9/5/17
to Sandy Sargent, Andersen, Brenda, nurse-d...@googlegroups.com

We too send our workers comp employees to urgent care.  We do however see employees for acute illness and charge them a $15 copay at the time of service. We really don’t have that many, since most employees do have their own doctors off campus.

Sandy Palmer, RN

Director Wellness Center

3700 Willow Creek Rd.

Prescott, Az 86301