Issue after Upgrading to NUnit 3.13.0

Michael Deutsch

Jan 21, 2021, 6:36:59 AM1/21/21
to NUnit-Discuss
Hey, thanks for maintaining this great framework.

I recently started having an issue when debugging tests after upgrading to the new 3.13.0 version.  Using Visual Studio, it treats nunit.framework.dll as "User Code" and steps into each step of code. This did not happen when using 3.12.0, and I've uninstalled, reinstalled, deleted the NuGet package numerous times. When I downgrade back to 3.12.0, it's resolved, and then if I try and upgrade again -- same problem.

I did notice a difference in the installed package, that 3.12 has a .pdb file in the "lib" folder of each .net version. (my project uses netstandard2.0, btw). These are not found in any of the 3.13.0 directories. Not sure if that's related to my current issue, but I believe that may be the source of the problem.

Is there supposed to be a .pdb in the new version? Should/can I just copy-paste that file? Is there another way I can fix this? Should I be changing something in VS debug settings? (It is currently set to "Enable Just My Code", and this setting works under 3.12.0 without changing anything else in my VS settings.) All I want is some way to debug tests without it stepping into the NUnit code.

Thanks!
-Mike

mikk...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2021, 2:53:03 PM1/22/21
to NUnit-Discuss
Hi Mike

I think this is a consequence of https://github.com/nunit/nunit/pull/3464. I had the understanding the enabling "Enable Just My Code" would keep the debugger out of NUnit code, but testing this I can reproduce your problem. I've written a comment in #3464, as the people involved in this PR knows much more about the internal workings of VS than I do.

Kind regards,
Mikkel