complex SVD

Gary Ballantyne

Mar 20, 2014, 3:33:13 PM3/20/14
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a SVD of a complex matrix is not available (i.e., no T.svd).

If so, is the best approach to use an "equivalent real formulation" ( http://www.osti.gov/scitech/biblio/756121 ) ?

E.g., say C = A + jB is complex, we instead deal with [A -B;B A] (in matlab notation).

Or perhaps some other cunning approach?

Cheers

Gary

Sébastien Loisel

Mar 21, 2014, 7:53:39 AM3/21/14
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You are right, I didn't implement complex SVD. You might be able to find an equivalent real formulation!

Sébastien Loisel
Department of Mathematics
Heriot-Watt University
Riccarton EH14 4AS
United Kingdom
web: http://www.ma.hw.ac.uk/~loisel/
email: S.Loisel at hw.ac.uk
phone: +44 131 451 3234
fax: +44 131 451 3249

Gary Ballantyne

Mar 23, 2014, 6:17:59 PM3/23/14
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sébastien

I have a complex SVD working with an equivalent real matrix and your SVD
(and coffeescript) here: http://puzlet.com/m/b00cf .

Sébastien Loisel

email: S.Loisel at hw.ac.uk

Johnson

May 15, 2017, 5:14:55 AM5/15/17
to numericjs
Thank you!

I have read your post and tried to implement accordingly. Nevertheless, I found it difficult when identical singular values are present, as I am not sure how to extract the real and imaginary entries since the singlular value cannot be distinguished. Any suggestions?

Thank you!