Ad on the homepage

Yotam G

Oct 5, 2016, 1:48:14 PM10/5/16
to numericjs
A Google ad now displays for me in the center of the Numeric homepage: http://numericjs.com . Has the homepage been taken over? The ad makes Numeric look disreputable. The website is all client-side, so it could easily be hosted on Github for free (other than DNS cost), via the docs folder or a gh-pages branch.

Yotam

Sébastien Loisel

Oct 5, 2016, 2:27:44 PM10/5/16
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yotam,

Thanks for your email. No, numericjs.com is still in my hands. The ad's been there for years. When I rolled out this web site, I wanted to see if it could be self-sustaining; I get monthly bills for the bandwidth.

However, it never really worked. The bandwidth is much more expensive than the ad revenue, which is almost nil.

I just never got around to deleting the advert.

Yes I know there are many patches, etc... that need to go into numeric.js and including the front page (the whole thing is "continuously deployed") but every time I want to deploy, I have to update all my developer packages (e.g. npm, node, selenium, often I have to update things on the server too before it all works). Web development is very clunky.

This one week of work is bumping up against my real job and my family so it never happens. I'm not sure how to improve it. I know for a fact that I can't throw out all my selenium tests because every time I do them I find some sort of problem in one of the browsers.

It's even worse because I test both Mac and Windows.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM, Yotam G <yotam....@gmail.com> wrote:
A Google ad now displays for me in the center of the Numeric homepage: http://numericjs.com . Has the homepage been taken over? The ad makes Numeric look disreputable. The website is all client-side, so it could easily be hosted on Github for free (other than DNS cost), via the docs folder or a gh-pages branch.

Yotam

Sébastien Loisel
Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, Heriot-Watt University
Riccarton, EH14 4AS, United Kingdom
web: http://www.ma.hw.ac.uk/~loisel/
email: S.Loisel at hw.ac.uk
phone: +44 131 451 3234