The L2 Project

l2proj...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 7:07:30 AM5/21/15
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

numericjs users may find my project interesting: http://l2project.org/

A few jobs still to do before the first release, but the site has examples and a demo.

I would like to include some of the advanced functions from numericjs in L2. Unfortunately, numericjs and L2 do not store multidimensional arrays in the same format. I will investigate whether the time spent converting between formats is significant - relative to the time used by the numericjs functions. It would be nice to avoid writing the trickier functions myself!

Any comments or feedback on the project is appreciated,

Graham McNeill

Owen Densmore

May 21, 2015, 11:33:20 AM5/21/15
to nume...@googlegroups.com
When you say compiled to JS:
- Why not JS? Maybe Domain Specific sort of thing?
- What technology? Babel plugin? Sweet.js macros?
- Do you use TypedArrays? (WebGL ready, typed, etc)

   -- Owen

l2proj...@gmail.com

May 21, 2015, 3:40:35 PM5/21/15
to nume...@googlegroups.com
- Why not JS? Maybe Domain Specific sort of thing?
Yes, it is a domain specific language. Why not JS? I find technical computing and data analysis with JS frustrating; the syntax is cumbersome and there
are no multidimensional data structures. I will put the docs and tutorial on the site soon. If you would like some specific examples, reply with some JS and I will post the equivalent L2 - or check out the Language Tour on the site.

- What technology? Babel plugin? Sweet.js macros?
The core functions and compiler do not use any libraries - though I may use numericjs as I mentioned.
The IDE uses the Ace editor and Flot for plotting.

- Do you use TypedArrays? (WebGL ready, typed, etc)
No, everything is basic JS at the moment. I may look into typed arrays once the first release is done, but not before.

Graham

graham.j...@googlemail.com

Apr 30, 2016, 10:38:13 AM4/30/16
to numericjs
L2 is now on GitHub:

Try the interactive environment (Chrome only for now):

Still lots to do. In terms of numerics, linear algebra is the main focus at the moment - some functions already added; testing svd now.

Feedback and comments on the project appreciated,

Graham

Sébastien Loisel

Apr 30, 2016, 11:08:31 AM4/30/16
to nume...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the link!

Owen Densmore

Apr 30, 2016, 1:03:05 PM4/30/16
to nume...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Graham. I love how mathematics, specifically linear algebra, is doing well in Javascript.