Numbas LTI – can I safely change settings and upload a new version of an exam without affecting existing scores?

Thomas Cottrell

Apr 7, 2022, 4:38:26 AM4/7/22
to Numbas Users
I have recently run a summative exam in Numbas, using Moodle and the Numbas LTI provider. The exam is now complete, and the module convenor (not me) wants students to be able to see their individual scores for questions, and the solutions. Apparently I had not anticipated this when I started, and disabled all the review mode settings in the feedback section for the exam:
review-mode.PNG
Whoops. I'm not sure why I did that.

If I change these settings (but nothing else), download the exam from Numbas, and reupload it to Moodle, will it potentially mess things up? (In particular, I'm thinking about the students' answers and scores.)

More generally, what can and can't safely be changed after an exam has started, and what effects might changing the exam package have?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Apr 7, 2022, 4:47:29 AM4/7/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Changing those settings will be fine.
It's hard to say exactly what could cause problems, but a rule of thumb is that anything that would make the exam produce structurally different attempt data is not safe. For example, adding or rearranging parts in a question, adding or removing questions, adding or removing variables.
Variables aren't re-evaluated when you resume an attempt, so you can't fix an error in a variable definition by uploading a new package.

Thomas Cottrell

Apr 7, 2022, 7:45:35 AM4/7/22
to Numbas Users
That's great, thanks!