Error in a live exam

Chris Jobling

May 9, 2022, 6:03:55 AM5/9/22
to Numbas Users
I have a summative assessment running and the my students  getting this error:2022-05-09_11-00-47.png

I have set the accuracy to 3 decimal places.

What could be wrong?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 9, 2022, 6:05:58 AM5/9/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
That looks like a mathematical expression part, not number entry.
Can you give me a link to the question on the editor, please?

Chris Jobling

May 9, 2022, 7:14:24 AM5/9/22
to Numbas Users
I think this may be because I had 3 dp precision turned on. Doesn't that work with fractions and integers? I have switched to relative precision and hopefully I can regrade the submissions based on this setting after the test finishes.

Chris Jobling

May 9, 2022, 7:17:06 AM5/9/22
to Numbas Users
Question 1 - Describe periodic signal properties and signal synthesis with elementary signals (2021 Exam Q Variation 1) - Numbas at mathcentre.ac.uk - Part e. I originally had these set to 3 dp precision but have changed to relative precision. I have told students taking the test to use decimals rather than fractions and integers.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 9, 2022, 8:32:54 AM5/9/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Again, this is a mathematical expression part so there's no precision restriction.

I worked out that it's because the "resultsequal" function was treating rationals as normal numbers, so arithmetic operations on them didn't work. I've changed the code to convert rationals to decimals, and checked that these kinds of answers work.