`is it possible to carry forward a student's wrong answer and use it as a variable for checking later parts that depend on that answer to avoid losing credits later?

Chris Jobling

May 10, 2022, 9:48:04 AM5/10/22
to Numbas Users
I feel that this is probably an FAQ but I couldn't find an answer here.

Is it possible to carry forward a student's wrong answer and use it as a variable for checking later parts in the question that depends on that answer to avoid losing credits later?

If so, are there examples in the documentation that you could point me to.

Chris

Julia Goedecke

May 10, 2022, 9:49:55 AM5/10/22
to Numbas Users
I think that's what adaptive marking is for, have a look if you can find that in the documentation?

(can't access myself at the moment)

Julia

Ben Brawn

May 10, 2022, 10:10:20 AM5/10/22
to Numbas Users
https://numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk/question/9038/adaptive-marking-quadratic-equation/

Look at Part C and then at the "adaptive marking" section. It replaces the roots with the student's answer to part a. See if that demo makes sense to you, copy it, play with it, click on the question marks to see documentation.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 10, 2022, 10:14:07 AM5/10/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
As the others have said, adaptive marking does this. The documentation is at https://docs.numbas.org.uk/en/latest/question/parts/reference.html#adaptive-marking, including a screencast showing how to set it up.

Chris Jobling

Aug 16, 2022, 11:49:59 AM8/16/22
to Numbas Users
Thanks all