Numbas LTI authentication

Martin Jones

May 23, 2024, 4:32:37 AMMay 23
to Numbas Users
Good morning everyone.

Our college uses Microsoft 365 to authenticate external services. It is currently not possible for our students to connect to Numbas when outside the campus. Does Numbas support authentication by Microsoft 365 or is there something else we can do?

Thanks

Christian Lawson-Perfect

May 24, 2024, 7:31:19 AMMay 24
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,
I don't think that the LTI protocol would allow for authentication through Microsoft 365. It's supposed to be the tool platform (your virtual learning environment) authenticates the student, which in your case would be through Microsoft 365, and then passes a token representing that student to the tool (Numbas). The tool shouldn't do any authentication. So it's not clear to me at what point your students are being asked to authenticate, or what we can do about it.
Would you mind sending me a private email to num...@ncl.ac.uk describing in more detail what the problem is?

Christian