Re: Institutional installation of Numbas editor

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Apr 21, 2022, 3:03:49 AM4/21/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Running your own editor would allow you to change owners of questions and exams, yes.
However, this is only a problem if people are making content in their own workspaces, instead of a shared project. I can't see a big difference between a policy that people must use your local instance of the editor, and a policy that people must use shared projects on the mathcentre editor. Both can be ignored by someone using their own workspace on the mathcentre editor.

To solve your immediate problem, if you can give me a list of material that you've lost access to, I can have a look in the database for you.

The only other benefits of having a local instance of the editor that I can think of are:
* being extremely cautious about access control (I'd expect an exam board to want to store draft exam questions locally, for example)
* if you're on the other side of the world, reducing response times

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 at 11:13, 'Cat Bazela' via Numbas Users <numbas...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi all,

We are in the process of piloting Numbas at our institution and were wondering if people could offer some insight into the benefits of having out own installation of the Numbas Editor rather than using the editor hosted by mathcentre?

At the moment we are using the open public editor, however we have had questions from staff about transference of work when people have left the university and they are uncontactable and not in a shared project. Would our own installation allow us to change owners of questions/exams?

What are the other benefits of having our own installation rather than using the open Numbas editor?

Thanks in advance
Cat Bazela