Feedback not matching answer status

cat.b....@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2022, 3:57:17 PM10/27/22
to Numbas Users
Hi,

I was hoping someone could advise on the question linked below.

It is a 'match choices with answers' question and when the second listed choice is answered correctly but the third listed choice is answered incorrectly, the feedback (ticks vs crosses) indicates that the second answer is incorrect and the third answer is correct. See screenshot in attached.

Note that there is negative marking to the 1 out of 3 score is correct for answer shown.

Thanks,

Catherine
Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 14.10.57.png

Ben Brawn

Oct 27, 2022, 5:21:24 PM10/27/22
to Numbas Users
 I unshuffled the order of displayed choices and still couldn't work it out. I thought I spotted the pattern it was marking in but I was wrong. Looks like the order of marking might change.

You can always turn off "Show score feedback icon " to avoid that issue if no one else figures it out.

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Oct 31, 2022, 10:39:57 AM10/31/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting this, Catherine.
When I saw this was one of Bill's questions, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that I'd broken something really fundamental!
But in fact, it turns out that the problem is that the student's ticks were being iterated over in the order that they'd be shown if there was no shuffling, by column and then by row (so all the ticks for the first answer, then all the ticks for the second column, and so on)
This isn't how I would read the grid: I'd read the displayed order by reading along the first row, then along the second column, down to the bottom-right entry. I've changed the marking algorithm to do that. Please have another go at this question, and tell me if it matches what you expect.

Catherine Palmer

Nov 8, 2022, 6:01:08 AM11/8/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian and Ben,

Thanks for looking into this. Yes, the feedback matches what I'd expect now.

Apologies that I'm only getting back to you now - it's the time of year where all the assessments and marking arrive at once so I had to abandon Numbas for a while!

Thanks again for your time.

Best wishes,

Catherine