Gap-fill input in fraction format

Mike Proudman

Dec 1, 2021, 9:54:20 AM12/1/21
to Numbas Users
Over the years there have been several discussions about methods we might use to author a "gap-fill" type question formatted as parts of a fraction. For example, a question presenting a fraction with a missing numerator that the student has to fill-in. (Think calculus quotient rule).

Most work-arounds have been variations of tables using the border to form the fraction line and input as a standard gap-fill. Whilst this can be successful it is usually a real pain to get formatting and spacing anywhere close to correct.

I recently came across Christian's "Render a matrix without parentheses" demo and wondered whether this may be a better way forward. I am thinking 3 x 1 matrix, rendered without brackets and an underscore in row 2. Additionally it may give the opportunity for a real solution without excessive coding if the underlying matrix input code could be adapted.

Any thoughts?

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Dec 6, 2021, 5:44:33 AM12/6/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I can't see how an input box with an underscore in it would look better than a border line.

Mike Proudman

Dec 7, 2021, 6:39:11 AM12/7/21
to Numbas Users
Often, when trying to use a table for this, I've found that the page rendering will do all sorts of nasty things to the sizes and justification of your cells and columns. What I thought might be usable was the fact that the matrix input already had the "shape" locked in. One above the other. it was just an idea. :)