Error: the file "settings" could not be loaded

Christopher Tedd

Oct 20, 2021, 7:24:28 AM10/20/21
to Numbas Users

Hi,

A student receives the following error when they try to open Numbas:
thumbnail_image.png
They have apparently tried on laptop, tablet and phone and in both Edge and Chrome but receive this error every time. Any ideas for what I can suggest to resolve this issue?

Best wishes,
Christopher

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Oct 20, 2021, 7:36:28 AM10/20/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Can you give me a link to the exam that has this error, on the editor?

Christopher Tedd

Oct 20, 2021, 7:46:49 AM10/20/21
to Numbas Users

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Oct 20, 2021, 7:51:06 AM10/20/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
That's really, really weird! Can you ask them to open the developer console when this happens, and send me any error messages there?

Christopher Tedd

Oct 20, 2021, 7:53:56 AM10/20/21
to Numbas Users
Will do, I'll let you know when they get back to me

Christopher Tedd

Oct 20, 2021, 10:16:46 AM10/20/21
to Numbas Users
Here's the student's console output
thumbnail_image2.png

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Oct 20, 2021, 10:30:10 AM10/20/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the root of the problem is that MathJax didn't load. If you haven't changed the mathjax url in your profile on the editor, then it'll load from https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.6/MathJax.js. Can you ask the student to check that they can load that address?
Cloudflare is the biggest content delivery network in the world, so I wouldn't expect it to be blocked on your student's internet connection, but they do some anti-denial-of-service stuff that can sometimes mean they block individual users. Maybe that's happened here?
I suggest we continue discussion privately - please email christia...@ncl.ac.uk if you have any more information that might help.