Number of attempts per question

Brendan MacDonald

Jan 18, 2021, 5:35:53 PM1/18/21
to Numbas Users
Hi,

Is it possible to set the number of attempts allowed for each question individually?

I would like to have an assignment with multiple questions and give the students a set number of attempts per question (e.g. 4), and they would receive feedback on whether their answer was correct or not after each attempt.

Currently I can only seem to set the number of attempts for the whole assignment. I don't want the students to have to redo all of the questions that they already got correct, just to have another attempt at the few problems in the assignment that they got incorrect.

Thanks,
Brendan

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Jan 21, 2021, 6:51:56 AM1/21/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
No, it's not possible at the moment. It would make the feedback model even more complicated, and it's already tricky to get your head round.
If there aren't too many questions, could you put each one in a separate exam and limit attempts that way?

If you allow immediate feedback, are you worried that students will submit answers without thinking until one is marked correct?

Alternatively, you could use explore mode to repeat a part if the student gets it incorrect, up to a limit. I've made a prototype of that at https://numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk/question/share/view/a62157c9-f903-42db-bc44-531a03d3a14c.

Brendan MacDonald

Jan 21, 2021, 8:12:29 AM1/21/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks for letting me know. Yeah, that’s the workaround I was using (make each question it’s own exam).

That’s exactly right, about them not thinking through the answers. I find if I give them a finite number of attempts that on their last attempt students will seek out help at my office hours, so they make sure they get it correct and understand the problem.

Thanks!
Brendan

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Numbas Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/CAEMHSOi49_Pw%2BGcd39ttVvb8XQpe%2BKKqZU0AXV28CC6wEJyVMg%40mail.gmail.com.