Numbas LTI provider v3.0 - please test!

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Oct 21, 2021, 10:52:52 AM10/21/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I've been working on a big upgrade to the LTI provider, making it use the latest versions of all the packages it relies on. It was stuck on a very old version of the django-channels package because that has been rewritten completely twice since I started on the LTI provider, and I thought it would be a lot of work to keep up.
Things seem to have settled down with django-channels now, so I've rewritten the stuff that needs to be rewritten, and taken care to improve the stuff that has caused people the most trouble, particularly asynchronous jobs like caching and reporting scores.
We've been running this version on our server at Newcastle since the start of term in September, and nothing bad has happened (yet!), but I want to be really cautious before officially releasing this, in case I've introduced problems that affect setups different to ours.

So, if you've got a staging environment and some time to spare, could you give the new version a go? I've created a new branch called 'v3-development' in the GitHub repository.

I've taken the opportunity to work through a lot of items on the to-do list, so there are quite a few interface improvements in this version. I'll write a full set of release notes when I do an official release.

If you do give it a go, let me know how you get on.
Thanks!

Peter Steele

Oct 25, 2021, 12:43:59 AM10/25/21
to Numbas Users
Thank you Christian.

I was thinking about transitioning from a RHEL install to Docker. I'm thinking that with Numbas-LTI-Provider v3.0 on the horizon that this might be a good time.

Would it be as simple as cloning the database and mounting the contents of srv/numbas-lti-media into Docker?

I suppose I'd need to start with the Numbas-LTI-Provider v2.7 and then upgrade to v3.0 ensure all DB migrations, etc. are run?

Kind regards,
Peter Steele

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Nov 2, 2021, 6:58:21 AM11/2/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
You could either clone the database into the postgres service provided by Docker, or change the docker-compose config to use your existing database server. I suppose Docker provides postgres just so you don't have to go through the work of setting it up, but if you've already got it running then stick with that.
The Docker-compose config stores the media in a volume, so I think you'd either have to copy your existing files into that, or change the config so it instead mounts your existing folder.

You should be OK going straight to the 3.0 branch. The DB migrations will work either way. I've changed the layout of the Docker container a bit anyway, so I think the easiest path is to start at v3.0.