Formatting in Advice section of a question

Bob Morris

Aug 25, 2021, 7:47:22 AM8/25/21
to Numbas Users
I am trying to provide some additional advice as well as the worked answer in Advice. I have two questions that may be answered in the Help section but I can't locate the answers.
  1. I have added formatting such as Bold to my advice but it doesn't show up in the PREVIEW when I Test Run
  2. I want to display, for example, x/y as a fraction but can't locate how to add the correct Latex inline

Any help much appreciated
Bob Morris

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Aug 25, 2021, 8:14:35 AM8/25/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,
The first issue, with formatting not showing up, might be a browser cache problem. Can you try refreshing the page, and see if that fixes it? I think I've found the question you're talking about, and I can see bold, italic and underline formatting.
It looks like you found the documentation on inserting LaTeX at https://docs.numbas.org.uk/en/latest/latex.html#latex-notation. To display the fraction x/y, write

$ \frac{x}{y} $

I hope that helps. Please tell me if you have any more questions.

Bob Morris

Aug 25, 2021, 9:54:03 AM8/25/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Christian. The question is indeed Percentage Question 2. I have sorted out the Latex but not the formatting despite a page refresh. I am using Chrome on my Mac. Any other suggestions?

I have recently retired from my role as pharmacy lecturer but plan to continue supporting pharmacy numeracy as I have some experience in issues the undergraduates struggle with most.

Bob

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Sep 7, 2021, 8:36:02 AM9/7/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,
Can you send me a screenshot of what you see, please?

Bob Morris

Sep 8, 2021, 12:14:35 PM9/8/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I will do next week Christian on my return from our river cruise on the Seine.

Sent from my iPhone. Bob Morris

Bob Morris

Sep 17, 2021, 9:14:52 AM9/17/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian

I have attached screenshots of part of the Advice page and Preview page illustrating the issue. Any idea why the formatting is not showing as expected in Preview?

I plan to register for the beginners webinar to help me work more efficiently.

Bob

Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.10.44.png
Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.11.14.png

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Sep 20, 2021, 4:21:25 AM9/20/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm really at a loss! I've tried in Firefox and Chrome, and the text that should be in bold is in bold. There's nothing unusual in the markup. Do you have any browser extensions installed that might be changing the formatting?

Message has been deleted

Bob Morris

Sep 21, 2021, 7:08:05 AM9/21/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Samuel that is very useful. I am new to Latex and need to learn more about the different syntax. I have really just copied codes from other uses existing questions so need to learn more.

Sent from my iPhone. Bob Morris

On Sep 21, 2021, at 11:11, Samuel Frost <samuel.f...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Bob,

I have tested your question on both Firefox and Chrome on a Mac and it displays exactly as you have written it.
Can I ask if you are trying to get the equations you have written to display like in the following screenshot?
<Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.09.25 pm.png>

If so, you would need to incorporate some LaTeX into your response. In the example above, this is what I used:
<Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.12.11 pm.png>
If I make the LaTeX section bold, only the text outside of the LaTeX bounds will be made bold:
<Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 7.20.01 pm.png>
Let me know if that helps you at all.

Good luck!
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/numbas-users/80519b04-748a-493e-b18c-51d6ff86f110n%40googlegroups.com.