Combining previous questions

Belinda S

Mar 4, 2021, 10:10:12 PM3/4/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com, h.g...@griffith.edu.au
Hi all,
We have created a set of questions, each with parts, with a total about 20 questions.  We would like to create a test where these are grouped into 4 questions, each with subquestions. Is there an easy way to do this without re-creating all the questions ? Copying complete questions into a part seems difficult.  We found when we tried to copy them, the gaps information was lost.

Any ideas are appreciated,
Belinda

Timur Zaripov

Mar 5, 2021, 5:11:07 AM3/5/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Dear Belinda,

I have used question groups, visible to students, to organise exam questions by topic. Although, the questions still stay separate.

What is the reason for you to want to collate the questions?

With best regards,
Timur Zaripov.

Julia Goedecke

Mar 5, 2021, 5:25:50 AM3/5/21
to Numbas Users
Hello,
You could try if just using the questions in the test in groups suits your needs, ie leaving them as separate questions in the exam? You can do different groups which may have the same role as making them into 4 questions.

I do however also often wish I could easily copy a part from one question to another.

Julia

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 8, 2021, 3:36:11 AM3/8/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I think grouping the questions is a decent solution to this, but I agree that it should be possible to copy parts between questions. I have an open issue on GitHub about this: https://github.com/numbas/editor/issues/531. One of the most difficult parts is how you deal with the variables that a part depends on - if you copy those over too, they might conflict with variables already in the question, or rely on custom functions or a variable testing condition. There are a lot of knock-on effects!

Belinda S

Mar 9, 2021, 6:40:13 AM3/9/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
There are groups of similar questions that would go together in a paper exam.  As a single question the group would show at one time, instead of 20+ questions down the side,there would just be four.

Any ideas appreciated,
Belinda

Belinda S

Mar 9, 2021, 6:43:25 AM3/9/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
I think that is the main point, whether questions can be copied into the parts of others without loosing the answers etc.  It sounds like it can't and probably difficult to include.

Belinda