Exam settings

Heather Driscoll

Nov 10, 2022, 7:29:28 AM11/10/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wondered whether anyone could please offer some advice on getting the correct settings for an exam run through an LTI.

I would like the students to be able to know whether the answer they have submitted is correct, but not to be able to change it if it is not. This is particularly important for multiple choice questions - currently the students can just keep clicking through the options until it is marked as correct! If I then unselect the "show answer state" option, the students receive no information at all other than what their final score is after they have completed the exam. Is there a way to prevent them from changing their answer once submitted?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Heather

--
Dr Heather Driscoll
University Teacher

Martin Jones

Nov 10, 2022, 7:59:42 AM11/10/22
to Numbas Users
Hi Heather
The "Show answer state" and "Show current score" should be unticked, but the option to "Allow reveal answer" can be ticked.
Then, when they have finished the question they can press "Reveal answers" to see the result, but will not be able to change their answer.
Regards
Martin

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Nov 10, 2022, 9:57:27 AM11/10/22
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather,
It's a principle that students can change their answers at any time until they end the exam. Students so often accidentally press submit, or spot a typo just after submitting, that I don't think it's fair to limit the number of times they can submit.
So in order not to allow students to work out the correct answer by repeatedly submitting answers, for summative tests you should turn off feedback: as Martin says, turn off "show answer state" and "show current score".
I wouldn't have "allow reveal answers" turned on - if your students can corroborate, then one student could pass on the correct answer to another. Also turn off "try another question like this".
Is there a reason you want students to be immediately given feedback on individual questions, instead of waiting until the end of the exam.

Christian