LTI time periods

Joshua Lim

Aug 10, 2021, 11:21:12 AM8/10/21
to Numbas Users
Hi

I'm just wondering what the expected behaviour is for Time Periods in the LTI backend and how other LTI admins are managing things.

When managing time periods, it appear that this groups contexts by when they were first created rather than when active (as per the documentation). For example, I have a context (Moodle course)  that has exams added and attempted spanning two time periods: however, the context is listed in the earliest time period only.

I'm not sure if this is expected behaviour or I'm thinking about it wrong?

The related issues I'm trying to manage are how to:
  1. keep track of inactive users and clear/purge inactive users (e.g. those who have graduated in line with GDPR)?
  2. get useful comparative usage statistics from one period (year) to the next.
  3. support archiving of exam attempts? Obviously scores are passed back to the VLE, but our annual VLE archive has a different target URL and breaks the LTI link meaning the only way to access tests is through NUMBAS. Do you encourage users to download JSON of exam attempts before removing the tests.
I'd also welcome any other LTI management-related pointers!

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Sep 7, 2021, 8:52:44 AM9/7/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joshua,
Sorry for the slow reply - gmail put this in my spam folder for some reason!

Yes, contexts are grouped by their creation time. I think that listing contexts under two time periods would be confusing, but clearly you're confused by the current state of affairs! I'm happy to have another look at this. I think that it might be necessary to manually set the time period for a context, because you might set things up before the period you want it listed under, or things like resits might make it look active after that time period.

There aren't any tools for purging inactive users. Because Newcastle switched VLEs recently so we could just remove all data to do with the old VLE, we haven't reached a point where we need to do that yet.

We tend to make our usage statistics with Jupyter notebooks attached to the LTI provider's database. What kind of stats would you like to see?

I'm not sure what you mean about archiving attempts. Where are you removing tests from?

Parthasarati Dileepan

Sep 27, 2021, 4:03:33 PM9/27/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,  I have a problem in which the right answer could be a numeric value or NaN to indicate there is no numerical answer.  So, for this fill-in-the-blank question I want students to be able to enter a numeric value or NaN as the answer.  Is it possible to do this, and if yes how do I do it?

Thanks, Dileep

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Sep 28, 2021, 6:04:47 AM9/28/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dileep,
You can do this with a custom marking algorithm. I've made an example in the "how-to" project at https://numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk/question/105717/answer-is-nan-or-a-number/.
One tricky point is that at the moment the marking algorithm can't override what gets put in the "expected answer" box, so I had to write some javascript to do that. I've made an issue on GitHub about this: https://github.com/numbas/Numbas/issues/856

On Mon, 27 Sept 2021 at 21:03, Parthasarati Dileepan <pdil...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Christian,  I have a problem in which the right answer could be a numeric value or NaN to indicate there is no numerical answer.  So, for this fill-in-the-blank question I want students to be able to enter a numeric value or NaN as the answer.  Is it possible to do this, and if yes how do I do it?

Thanks, Dileep

Parthasarati Dileepan

Sep 28, 2021, 8:16:27 AM9/28/21
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, thank you Christian, this works very well...... Dileep