Explore mode - advice section when answer wrong- new variable values

samuel...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2023, 5:27:52 PM3/22/23
to Numbas Users
Hello

I'm just tinkering really, and I'm not even sure that explore mode is the best way to achieve whatever it is I'm trying to do.

However, I've just added a copied part (giving two question parts in total) and wanted to see what happens if I use a JME expression to recalculate some randomised values in an array.

It turns out that for part two the variables a, b, c, d which are found separately from the array (e.g. a=array[0]) do seem to be replaced with the new values, as the second question part appears with different values to question part one, and is marked correctly.

However, when I click on 'reveal answer' to view the advice section the values used do not connect with the part 2 values and instead are based on the first question part.

Thought I'd pass this on in case that's something to be remedied, I'm not yet sure explore mode is the correct route for me!

Also, 'always available' is not true when the answer has been revealed. I'm considering giving them 10 factorising questions, if they get say 8/10 then they will get harder. I wouldn't necessarily want them to start again at question part 1 if they'd chosen to reveal answer, although there is also some merit in making them do that!

Kind regards
Sam

samuel...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2023, 12:23:54 PM3/23/23
to Numbas Users
Just to add- it seems that the variable testing also isn't applied for the regenerated values in the second part.

I'm not experienced enough with explore mode to know whether this is to be expected!

In this situation I could just have a second, separate variables group for the second part, without too much effort.

Cheers
Sam

Christian Lawson-Perfect

Mar 28, 2023, 4:56:48 AM3/28/23
to numbas...@googlegroups.com
Can you give me a link to this question in the editor, please?

I'm not sure what to do about the advice section in explore mode - it's a single block of text for the whole question, so it's hard to write it in a way that would make sense for a branching question. Really, there should be a separate "Advice" field for each part.

The advice is generated when the question starts, which is why it only uses the initial set of variables.